News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deadringer 2 FET question

Started by Mark0614, August 29, 2020, 09:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark0614

Hi

During the COVID19 I have been going through old projects. I have been working on my Deadringer 2.

I originally built the Deadringer 2 using the IRF510 FETs (for clipping) but changed to the 2N7000 as the IRF510 wouldn't fit in my enclosure. I have now a larger enclosure and can accommodate the IRF510, is it worth replacing the 2N7000 with the IRF510?

Is there a noticeable sonic difference?

During the whole process I decided to run the effect of 18v instead of 9v (via the Road Rage pcb). I think the Deadringer sounds more articulate with 18v, though I could be mistaken as the battery I was using initially was only good for 7v.

Regards

Mark

Mark0614

Is anyone looking at this forum at all?

Willybomb

It may be that no one has tried it.  Socket the trannie holes and try them out.

madbean

I think the IRF510 is a slightly different flavor of clipping but it's a really subtle thing. I like them but yeah, they are a real pain due to their size. IIRC, they felt a little more articulate to me than the 2n7000. But, I tend to stay away from magic word descriptors with these types of things.

Mark0614

Thanks for your reply and help. I'm wondering would it really be worth replacing the 2N7000 with IRF510 given that it will cost about $10 as I can't buy just two.

I find the 2N7000 to be a bit muffled and prefer the LED's for that reason.

Regards

Mark

Mark0614

I bit the bullet and put the IRF510 FETs in. They sound better than the 2N7000's.

Regards

Mark