News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Etched builds (Phaser, OD's and Mini's, Oh My)

Started by dan.schumaker, September 02, 2020, 08:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

So here are a few of my builds I've finished up in the last week or so...

Since I've discovered how well my laser etches powdercoated enclosures, I decided to dive into the deep end and start powdercoating my own boxes.  A trip to Harbor Freight for their cheap powdercoating gun, a stop at Target for a toaster oven, and I was in business.  Like anything else, there has been a learning curve, but its really cool to learn another skill like that.

Onto the pedals...

The first is the Lodge Phaser/Pan pedal.  This is based on the old Ibanez Flying Pan.  This is a great sounding phaser even in mono, but sounds even better in stereo with the panning going on.  Definitely a fun one!

This is the Stormcloud OD/Comp.  Reverb did a sound like on John Mayer a while back, and I noticed that a lot of the settings were a Dyna Comp into a Dude OD.  So thats what this is.  I really like using the compressor as a nice boost, and the OD side has great range to it.

Here is the Trestle OD.  I was watching the Premier Guitar Rig Rundown on Robin Trower, and saw him using a Fulldrive and his RTO overdrive.  So I figure why not make a 2-in-1 with both of them.  Yes, its basically two tube screamers in one box, but they stack well together and make a fun combo.

The Phantom Spirit is a Delay/Reverb combo pedal.  Really nice ambient tones in here.  Put them together and you have something really versatile in not a ton of space.

I am really happy with how my etch turned out on the Savant compressor.  This is an optical compressor with a switchable grit section.  This is runs at 18V internally and gives some super long sustain.  A really cool compressor to play around with.

The Onxard is based on the Seymour Duncan 805 OD, but squeezed into a 1590A.  I like having the mid control, it really opens up the pedal with the ability to boost or cut the mids.

Here is another phaser/vibe squeezed into a 1590A.  It is a gyrator based phaser/vibrato.  Two different LFO's control the two stages of filter sweeps.  This is definitely something that you don't hear everyday.

Here is the Lectric FX DC Echo.  Awesome sounding BBD delay.  I don't know if I got lucky, but in calibrating, after setting the clock, I didn't have to move a trimpot to get awesome sounds coming out of it.  Since this one goes from full dry to full wet, I added a dry output at the front end of the pedal (like the original).

And since I've been powdercoating my own boxes, I've been working through some of my own pedals, powdercoating, etching and reboxing them.

jimilee

Nice! I do love the flying pan. I built the BYOC version a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

That's awesome.  What kind of laser unit do you own?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Haberdasher on September 02, 2020, 09:04:30 AM

Its a Flux Beamo.  I ordered it last year on their Kickstarter, so I got it on a bit of a discount of what they sell for now.  But definitely worth what I paid for it so far  :)

https://flux3dp.com/beamo/

Haberdasher

Quote from: dan.schumaker on September 02, 2020, 09:33:27 AM

Its a Flux Beamo.  I ordered it last year on their Kickstarter, so I got it on a bit of a discount of what they sell for now.  But definitely worth what I paid for it so far  :)

That's really nice.  Will it do a 1590xx right out of the box (with no add-ons)?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Haberdasher on September 02, 2020, 11:16:23 AM
Quote from: dan.schumaker on September 02, 2020, 09:33:27 AM

That's really nice.  Will it do a 1590xx right out of the box (with no add-ons)?

Yep, right out of the box should do it.  I did spring for the rotary and auto-focus, but that won't keep you from doing a 1590XX.

Bio77

Wow!  Those are incredible.  Do you coat them with something after the etching?

cooder

Fantastic builds again... where to start...? Do you actually still find time to play guitar as well with that amount of output and time you put into all those? Epic, the powder coating is top and you're very self contained now in all the process or what would you think is missing or next on the list of tools?

The Lodge phaser is cool, no relay bypass on that, is that board from somewhere else?
What's the savant based on please? Is it the Philosophers stone or something along the lines? Fab etch there indeed.

The 1590A's make me squint...
And the DC echo is fab!
Epic stuff, Dan!

BigNoise Amplification

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Bio77 on September 02, 2020, 01:07:56 PM
Wow!  Those are incredible.  Do you coat them with something after the etching?

I haven't coated any of these.  I do have a clear powdercoat, and tried it on one, and didn't care for it... but I think I might keep playing with it in the future to see if I can make it work.

Quote from: cooder on September 02, 2020, 03:19:43 PM
Fantastic builds again... where to start...? Do you actually still find time to play guitar as well with that amount of output and time you put into all those? Epic, the powder coating is top and you're very self contained now in all the process or what would you think is missing or next on the list of tools?

First things first, no I don't have any time to play, I enjoy building too much.  I am not very good anyway, now if I took the time I spend building practicing, I'm sure that would change...  As far as tools go,  I am running out of room for anything else  :D  I mean, there are always tools I want, but I think I finally have all the tools to build at the level I want to be at.

Quote from: cooder on September 02, 2020, 03:19:43 PM
The Lodge phaser is cool, no relay bypass on that, is that board from somewhere else?
What's the savant based on please? Is it the Philosophers stone or something along the lines? Fab etch there indeed.

Still my board design.  I did try for a version with soft touch, but as you can see on the board, there is just no room for it.  I might try doing a soft-touch daughter board in the future, but for now, I don't mind the 3PDT.  The Savant is Philosophers Tone based, awesome sounding comp.

NorthCoast

Very nice!!

Which LDRs did you use on the Lodge Phaser/Pan?
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

m-Kresol

stellar builds all around. You keep going strong and you always find some new aspects to learn in the hobby. nice work
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

dan.schumaker

Quote from: NorthCoast on September 03, 2020, 07:43:24 AM
Very nice!!

Which LDRs did you use on the Lodge Phaser/Pan?

Just using regular Tayda LDR's.  I tried a few different ones, and the cheapies worked the best!

Hexjibber

These are amazing! Love the look of the Savant compressor! Maybe I need to get into this laser business and stop messing around with 'orrible chemicals!

jjjimi84

Just incredible work, seriously amazing stuff. That savant has me drooling, it looks like something empress would put out.