News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stereo killswitch wiring

Started by J3113, September 06, 2020, 07:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J3113

Hey everybody!

I'm experimenting with pedals on my drums and have 2 mono signal that I want be able to mute with the push of a single button.  But for some reason I can't figure out how to build a pedal like that.  There are some pedals on te market that do that, like this one.
https://www.brightonion.co.uk/stereo-momentary-kill-switch/
Mine won't be momentary.  Anyone has any idea how to wire a pedal like this?  Can't figure it out myself and can't find any diagrams online.

thanks,
J3113

mauman

This is one way to do it, there are others!  Use a latching SPDT or DPDT switch.  Both signals are either on or off.  If you use a metal enclosure, the Shield lug wiring is optional, but I like to be sure so I usually include it.

If you use a toggle switch , no need for an indicator, the handle direction shows you what's happening.  For a foot switch, you can hear whether the signal is there or not.  But if you want to include an indicator LED you'll need power, an LED and another set of contacts.

If you want to ground the outgoing signal leads while the switch is open to prevent noise, you can swap the Out jacks with the In jacks and ground lugs 1 and 4 (tie them to the shields.) 

Or you could just move the Out jacks from lugs 3 & 6 to lugs 2 & 5 (along with the In jack leads) and ground lugs 1 & 4.  That would kill it by just grounding the signal rather than opening it up.  Lots of options! 

J3113

Okay, that was way easier than it was in my head.  Computer said temporarily no.  Thanks for clearing that up!