News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Latest Builds

Started by dan.schumaker, December 02, 2020, 11:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Its been a bit since I've posted what I've been working on.  Lots of powdercoating, lots of etching, lots of building.  Here is a small smattering of my latest boards.

Mash Overdrive - This is a Tube Screamer based overdrive with an added blend control.  Works real well for bass.  Dip switches on the inside change the clipping options

Brown Distortion - This is a BSIAB pedal.  Has some real nice high-gain tones.  This is going to be a part of a larger theme, so keep an eye out for that one  ;)

The Boxer Overdrive - This is based on the Cornish CC-1 pedal.  Its a pretty good sounding overdrive, really versatile with the tone-stack.

I/O Box - This is something I've been wondering if it would work for a while.  This is a buffered I/O box to put at the front of a pedalboard.  What is different on this one than ones I've done before is that this has a buffered tuner out.  This took some nerve-wracking drilling, but everything just fits :)

Stallion Overdrive - This is a (mostly) all SMD build.  Its based on the J. Rockett Dude.  I used soldering stencils for the first time on this.  It was super cool to lay down the solder paste on the stencil and see it perfectly on the pads.  When I had the board populated, I tossed it in my powdercoat oven, and let the solder flow that way.  Its amazing to go from "this is never going to work and flow, I'm going to burn everything" to "holy cow, its actually working!"

Kairos Delay - The Kairos is a nice sounding analog inspired delay.  This took some cues from the VFE Blueprint pedal, running internally at 18V, and having a mix control go from full wet to fully dry.  The delayed repeats sound really good on this one.

Chrono Trigger Deluxe Delay - This is a dual delay pedal, with an option to run the delays in either parallel or series.  It took a few iterations to get the switching finally figured out, but I am happy with where it is.  The dual/parallel is on a toggle switch, and you use the footswitch to bring in that second delay.   

Everglade Tremolo - This one also took more iterations to get right than it probably should have.  This is a dual tremolo pedal.  Two sides, one optical trem, the other a brownface harmonic tremolo.  The Harmonic sounds really good, nice and swirly, and the optical side does blackface sounds really well.  I still might want to play with this one again to add just a hint of volume boost to both ends, but for now, I'm happy with it.

Citadel Compressor - This is a totally un-neccesary pedal, but one that is pretty cool nonetheless.  It is two compressors in one box.  On one side is a Dyna Comp based OTA compressor with all the bells and whistles.  It has a blend control, tone control and attack control.  The other side is an optical based compressor, based on the EQD Warden.  The biggest issue with building this was fitting all 11 pots on the board.  So I made a board sandwich and used a secondary board to mount all the pots on, everything is solidly board mounted, and I didn't have to be super-precise on the main board in positioning all the controls.

mjg

Very cool, as always. 

I did have a laugh at "this is going to be part of a larger theme" - right, since when does Dan do "large"?   :P

jimilee

Wow wow wow! One question, why would you want a buffered tuner out? Seems like the point of a timer out is to get it out of your chain. I'm intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: jimilee on December 02, 2020, 04:31:44 PM
Wow wow wow! One question, why would you want a buffered tuner out? Seems like the point of a timer out is to get it out of your chain. I'm intrigued.

Maybe I mispoke... its a buffered split, so the tuner is out of the chain, no tone loss going through the rest of the chain.  I'm actually just added it to my 1+1 board, and it works really well.   

Bio77

Those look great!  The laser etching/powder coating is awesome. Looks like you've got it dialed in.

I notice you have the SMD 2399s on your delay.  Any opinion about the noise floor at longer times of these versus the DIPs? 

jimilee

Quote from: dan.schumaker on December 02, 2020, 04:55:19 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 02, 2020, 04:31:44 PM

Maybe I mispoke... its a buffered split, so the tuner is out of the chain, no tone loss going through the rest of the chain.  I'm actually just added it to my 1+1 board, and it works really well.
Ohhhhh, ok,cool. I built something similar, but used an lpb-1 wired in series (I think). If the power  wasn't plugged in and the volume was up (it would t go past unity with no power), it was just a tuner out. I added the boost just because I had it laying around.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Most excellent and tons of thinking and planning in those again, getting the stuff in those small boxes and all!
Very nice! What are the tremolos based on , what's the harmonic tremolo circuit specifically (love me the warmth and swirlyness of harmonic trems...)?
BigNoise Amplification

MTK

Beautiful work! I'm down with that Chrono Trigger pedal. CT anytime every time.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Bio77 on December 02, 2020, 05:36:00 PM
Those look great!  The laser etching/powder coating is awesome. Looks like you've got it dialed in.

I notice you have the SMD 2399s on your delay.  Any opinion about the noise floor at longer times of these versus the DIPs?

I haven't noticed any issues with the SMD PT2399's.  I've been using them pretty exclusively for the past year.  I have shifted to using them mainly due to space and price considerations.

Quote from: cooder on December 02, 2020, 06:02:44 PM
Most excellent and tons of thinking and planning in those again, getting the stuff in those small boxes and all!
Very nice! What are the tremolos based on , what's the harmonic tremolo circuit specifically (love me the warmth and swirlyness of harmonic trems...)?

Check out the BYOC Harmonic Tremolo, that should give you a good start on the Harmonic side, and the Optical is just a Shoot the Moon trem.

m-Kresol

impressive collection once more.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jjjimi84

You work always amazes me! That tremolo is such a great pedal idea!