News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Prickly Pear - fuzzy overdrive

Started by G.G., September 07, 2020, 03:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.G.

This started as an Effects Layouts Silver Fox board (BJFe Silver Bee) that I wanted a little more gain out of, and a Strange Master I never boxed up. I put the Strange Master in front of the Silver Fox and found out they sound pretty great together. I made a little demo vid since it's easier to just hear it than describe it, and I'm terrible at vids but hopefully you'll get the idea. Here's the Prickly Pear:

jjjimi84

What fantastic work you have there! I love the little video with it also. Really nice work.

cooder

Excellent, love it, looks great, sounds fab! Neat video as well!
BigNoise Amplification

Bret608

Looks awesome and sounds great too! I have an unboxed Rangemaster board that I now totally feel like using for something like this.

G.G.

thanks guys! Bret608 you definitely should try boxing the Rangemaster with something. I liked the way it sounded by itself but I never run my amp loud enough for the Rangemaster to really work like it should with a cranked amp. I need to make another Rangemaster to pair with an old MB Honey Bee board I have since this combo worked so well together.

Quote from: Bret608 on September 08, 2020, 05:59:53 AM
Looks awesome and sounds great too! I have an unboxed Rangemaster board that I now totally feel like using for something like this.

storyboardist

Oh man, those sound great together! Nice execution
Guy behind Effects Layouts

G.G.

Thanks David! The tone controls on the Silver Fox really work well with the StrangeMaster, super fun combo.

G.G.

'Nother Prickly Pear, with actual Texas dirt in the finish  :-\ ! The Yellow Shark is one of my first builds, back again with correct caps values and an OC44 Rangemaster in front. Can't say my offboard has gotten neater, I'm just not that guy I guess. Switchable input caps on the Rangemaster and a power inverter.

EBK

Quote from: G.G. on December 03, 2020, 07:07:38 AM
...with actual Texas dirt in the finish  :-\ !
Before you wrote that, and before I saw where you are from, I actually thought: "That pedal sounds very Texas."  8)

(My limited world view of Texas sound is heavily skewed by ZZ Top, I confess.)

Nice work!  Sounds and looks great! 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber