News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Blueshift

Started by TNblueshawk, September 08, 2020, 04:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

If you don't have a scope, just audio probe pin 7 & 8 of each BBD while adjusting its bias.
Works at Lectric-FX

TNblueshawk

Quote from: danfrank on November 18, 2020, 08:10:53 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a subtle chorus pedal, it doesn't really sound like most others. If you have a scope to calibrate the pedal with, that will make it A LOT easier to do. Since this has two BBDs in it, the first BBD is easy to dial in (the pedal starts to chorus) but the second BBD is harder because it's sound gets placed "on top of" the other's chorus sound. If you don't have a scope, I guess the best way to describe it is that when the second BBD gets dialed in, the chorus sound gets "thicker".
A scope makes it so much simpler though ..
Hope this helps

BTW, switch "4" will give you the most pronounced chorus sound. The Blueshift kills when used as a stereo chorus. The "lushness" comes in when used in stereo

Thanks for the explanation as it was spot on.
John

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Scruffie on November 19, 2020, 03:23:10 AM
If you don't have a scope, just audio probe pin 7 & 8 of each BBD while adjusting its bias.

I don't have a scope but I think I've got it dialed in real close.

However, what does it mean when I get zero sound out of pins 7 and 8 of the BBD's, IC's 3 & 9?
John

Scruffie

Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 19, 2020, 08:27:53 AM

However, what does it mean when I get zero sound out of pins 7 and 8 of the BBD's, IC's 3 & 9?
That they're not passing signal and you have no effect... when working, you should hear clean undistorted vibrato on each chip there.
Works at Lectric-FX

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Scruffie on November 19, 2020, 08:33:13 AM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 19, 2020, 08:27:53 AM

That they're not passing signal and you have no effect... when working, you should hear clean undistorted vibrato on each chip there.

I still get no signal from the BBD's on pins 7,8. I can say with 100% certaintly some type of chorus signal is passing through. Can't tell you how but when you click it on an off there is a audible difference but that explains my subtle comment earlier. I also get no signal from pin 7 of IC 2. I do get signal from a few other spots that I mentioned earlier in the thread so I know my audio probe works.

Scruffie, could a tant cap issue be the problem?
John

Scruffie

The signal always passes through a pre/de-emphasis network, while they're supposed to be neutral, they pretty much always audibly impact tone, so that could be what you're hearing?

The signal has to pass through IC2 pin 7 to reach the BBD's and the output of the BBD's is pin 7&8, if your audio probe is definitely working and there's not something weird going on, you can't possibly have any modulation.

Could a bad cap on the compander be the cause? Possibly... I mentioned Tayda tantalum capacitors because last time I tried to use one for digital power filtering it ended up injecting noise rather than removing it and I've avoided them since, I've also heard of their electro's simply being shorts.

Signal comes from IC1 pin 7, goes in to the companders input at pin 6, comes out at pin 7.
Works at Lectric-FX

TNblueshawk

Ok thanks. I'll be out of town for the next several days so I'll pick back up on it then. Thanks Scruff.
John