News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What ldr for tremulus lune

Started by Thewintersoldier, September 10, 2020, 11:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

So I ordered a luna pcb from Aion. I have everything I need but the vactrol. Instead of ordering one I figure roll my own. I have some ldrs on hand and what would you recommend? The build doc calls for vtl5c3,  but I have Smallbear 9203, 9200 and some tayda ldrs. I'm leaning towards 9203 with 3mm red led. What has worked for you? Opinions?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

skyled

Most build docs recommend 3mm diffused red LED and Tayda LDR.

Thewintersoldier

I hear what your saying, but I think Kevin  tweaked the circuit some for more variety in tones. The first version he has uses the nsl/vtl5c2 and the v2 he lists the 5c3. If I don't dig it with homebrew I'll try the real thing I guess
Who the hell is Bucky?

garcho

I don't believe it matters all that much for this design. There is a trim pot in the second gain stage; it will help negate LED/LDR choice consequences.

Next time you order parts, buy a vactrol. They're expensive and it stings, but that buys the time and pita it takes to roll your own, gives you some better specs, they're nice and compact, and DIY vactrols can cause shorts. Remember it has to fit on the board when you're rolling your own. It's easy to make huge DIY vactrols but it's hard to make ones compact for boards expecting non-DIY versions.
...and weird on top!

garcho

Quotetweaked the circuit some for more variety in tones. The first version he has uses the nsl/vtl5c2 and the v2 he lists the 5c3

These do not change "tone". They are light dependent resistors, changing the gain of the second op amp stage. It's about getting maximum swing in amplitude.
...and weird on top!

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: garcho on September 11, 2020, 06:38:28 PM
Quotetweaked the circuit some for more variety in tones. The first version he has uses the nsl/vtl5c2 and the v2 he lists the 5c3

These do not change "tone". They are light dependent resistors, changing the gain of the second op amp stage. It's about getting maximum swing in amplitude.
He built the board around the vactrol in the build doc so no trimmers on his board, and I meant that he tweaked the circuit values to best work with the vactrol he put in the build doc. But I hear what your saying.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?