News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Alpha Dog and Dark Horse

Started by Bio77, September 13, 2020, 01:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

Some more projects getting finished, hell yeah!  Thanks to Dan for hooking me up with the J175s.  8)

Both these pedals sound fantastic.  The Fat control on the Alpha Dog gives the Rat a lot more usability, IMO.  The Dark Horse is a must build for DS-1 fans. It's kind of bitter sweet, because I just built 4 DS-1s with TA7136Ps the last few months for friends.  I'm kind of hoping I don't end up liking this one more.  :P

benny_profane

Those are incredible inside and out! Great work! Is that an old 308 can you had or do you have a reliable source? SBE has been out for some time now.

jimilee

Niiice. I love the VFE pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

These are so good John. These are the cleanest vfe builds I've seen. Normally they are all bunched up and crammed in there, these are all kinds of clean and spacious. I hate cluttered and this is nice. 125b? And the graphics are crisp and clean.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

I really like the artwork on both of these! Love the colors too. I did the Distortion three back in late 2019 and think it's fantastic. I did a yellow enclosure similar to your Alpha Dog. I managed to keep the wiring, etc. clean, but these VFE builds do require a certain level of wrapping one's head around.

Aentons

Very nice. Does that Kemet relay work ok with the VFE builds?

Bio77

Thanks everyone, appreciate it!

Quote from: benny_profane on September 13, 2020, 02:03:10 PM
Is that an old 308 can you had or do you have a reliable source? SBE has been out for some time now.
I got the 308 from SB awhile back, I bought a few, so I had this one extra.

Quote from: jimilee on September 13, 2020, 06:11:06 PM
Niiice. I love the VFE pedals.
Me too, you recently talked me into to acquiring a Blueprint PCB.

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on September 14, 2020, 03:51:03 AM
These are so good John. These are the cleanest vfe builds I've seen. Normally they are all bunched up and crammed in there, these are all kinds of clean and spacious. I hate cluttered and this is nice. 125b? And the graphics are crisp and clean.
Thanks man.  The cleanliness is all Bean's new switching board, It's nice.  Nope these are 1590Bs. I put the jacks too low on the Alpha Dog.  The switching board is tight in that one, but I was lucky enough to get it together.  Also the top mounted DC jack is a tight squeeze, I had to file down the lip of the base plate for one of these.

Quote from: Bret608 on September 14, 2020, 06:35:48 AM
I really like the artwork on both of these! Love the colors too. I did the Distortion three back in late 2019 and think it's fantastic. I did a yellow enclosure similar to your Alpha Dog. I managed to keep the wiring, etc. clean, but these VFE builds do require a certain level of wrapping one's head around.
Thanks!  Totally agree, the VFEs are usually a project I always miss a part or two for.  Having so many options in the power section makes lots of places to screw up.

Quote from: Aentons on September 14, 2020, 06:56:13 AM
Very nice. Does that Kemet relay work ok with the VFE builds?
I'm not sure that it's a Kemet.  I bought 10 of these a few years back, but they were not available last time I ordered.  They have worked fine in all the builds. 

Hexjibber

These are awesome, love the look of the Alpha Dog!

cooder

Top shelf and above! Very nice inside out, perfect drill spacing too for the 9mm pots.
Did you use the filmless laser paper for these again? Got it nailed.
BigNoise Amplification

Bio77

Thanks!  8)

Yes, it's filminess laser paper, my go-to medium now a days :D.  My secret for drilling is a top-shelf center punch (Starrett).  I cost ~$30, but was worth it; one of my favorite tools.