News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

~$50 multimeter suggestion

Started by Jmilla, September 16, 2020, 05:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmilla

Hi all,

I'm getting back into things after a long hiatus and my harbor freight dmm is toast. I looked at some of the old threads about this but a lot of the models are discontinued or unavailable.im hoping to get something relatively decent but for sure less than $100. I have been looking at various models such as the fluke 101 but don't know if that is too bare bones for this stuff. I'm hoping to get some suggestions.

Thanks

alanp

I wouldn't worry too much about features, unless you're planning on doing something like the A/DA Flanger. Voltage, resistance, she's a good 'un :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Haberdasher

VC97 is about $30 and is pretty good.

On a whim, I also picked up a Mustool MT108T on sale at banggood or whatever, for like $14.  It's actually pretty nice!  Very slick for the price.  I reach for it a lot over the vc97 because it's about half the size.

Just my opinion, and others may disagree, but I do not think you need to spend $100.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Jmilla

Would you say measuring current is necessary?

davent

Not sure whether you can find them for under $50 but been very happy for years with my Extech EX330.

More often then not i measure current by taking the voltage drop across a resistor and calculate the current with ohms law. But wouldn't want to have a meter without the capability, is there such a DMM?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Jmilla

Yeah the fluke 101 doesn't measure current but voltage, capacitance and resistance.

culturejam

This one looks pretty good for circuit debugging/tracing:
https://www.amazon.com/Crenova-Auto-Ranging-Multimeter-Measuring-Backlight/dp/B00KXX2OYY/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=multimeter&qid=1600346672&sr=8-7

I have an Extech that was about $50 that I use for circuit testing. 90% of the time, I use it for continuity testing. I have a separate tester for measuring component values. Just search "transistor tester" on Amazon or eBay and you'll get a ton of relevant results that are affordable.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Jmilla

Thanks guys. After reading some reviews I went with the Crenova one.

Scruffie

Quote from: culturejam on September 17, 2020, 05:52:00 AM
This one looks pretty good for circuit debugging/tracing:
https://www.amazon.com/Crenova-Auto-Ranging-Multimeter-Measuring-Backlight/dp/B00KXX2OYY/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=multimeter&qid=1600346672&sr=8-7
I love the auto-translate for 'Wont work' on that listing "【9V Battery】DON'T forget to install the 9V battery before using the digital multimeter, or it will go on strike."
Works at Lectric-FX

Jmilla