News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pepper Spray with mystery meat controls

Started by misterpants, September 18, 2020, 10:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misterpants

Here's a Pepper Spray I just completed for a friend. He asked for mystery controls, so I just brushed a plain 1590B for the enclosure.

It's built to the 'Albini' spec. For the second set of clipping diodes, I used one 1N914 and one BAT46. I put a small 15N ceramic cap around the BAT46 to turn the second diode set into a switchable low pass filter. The BAT46 helps keep the volume fairly consistent when switching between diode sets.

The 404A is a nice-sounding old Texas Instruments transistor with an HFE of about 140. The 3565 has an HFE of about 260.

It's a surprising pedal, much warmer and subtler than the Percolators I've built to the 'stock' specs.

Thewintersoldier

Love the percolator, I bet it sounds awesome with the mods, dude is gonna love it!
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Awesome! One of my all-time favorite fuzzes (both Albini and "stock"). That's funny on your transistor hfes--I think I have pretty much the same in a yet-to-be boxed stock specs build (can't remember exactly on the 2n404 though).

One thing I tried on that stock specs build was to try Ge diodes (some old 1n273) in the symmetrical (i.e. not the 1n695) spot on the diode switch. They sounded good but must have been way too leaky as the volume was lower than the 1n695s even. I tried some 1n6263 Schottky diodes, the same ones Frantone used in the "Sweet" fuzz, and they sounded great--kind of like a different flavor of germanium, but with the volume easily matching the 1n695s. I like what you did with that spot on your build. I used 1n914 in that position on my Albini and it sounded good. On the stock specs, that sounded pretty bad (very bright and raspy), hence the experimentation.