News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DRV Clone

Started by storyboardist, September 10, 2020, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyboardist

Here's my take on the 1981 Inventions DRV. The board is the same as the layout on my blog but was my guinea pig for carving PCBs on a small tabletop CNC mill. Enclosure is jank 1590B knockoff with waterslide decals. Wired for buffered bypass like the original. I know there's differing opinions on this circuit, but I jammed with it for a good bit after boxing it up. To me it really shines with the gain turned down and volume up. Like a gnarlier Klon, it boosts your signal and adds a nice bit of snarl that responded well to pick attack. It also sounds good with or without the charge pump. Without it loses some headroom, but is still a great sounding dirt box at 9v. And with 18v it just give give you more headroom and a little more spankiness? YMMV, but I dig it.

Guy behind Effects Layouts

Aleph Null

Love the clean esthetic! What color/finish is that on the enclosure?

Do you think you'll CNC again or go back to chemicals for etching PCBs?

cooder

Very tidy and great build! Do you have a photo of how pcb looked on copper side after CNC? Just curios. How long did it take to mill pcb?
BigNoise Amplification

storyboardist

Quote from: Aleph Null on September 10, 2020, 01:08:08 PM
Love the clean esthetic! What color/finish is that on the enclosure?

Do you think you'll CNC again or go back to chemicals for etching PCBs?

Thanks! The color is Duplicolor Hampsted Green Metallic. I still have all my etching stuff, so it's always in the back pocket, but I've only etched one board all year. I like the non-chemical nature of the mill, but if I were to do it consistently I think I would want a better mill. The one I have is a cheap kit from BangGood. I've only carved 2 things on it before I needed to re-tighten a few of the bolts and re-calibrate and re-adjust almost everything. I milled this board over a year ago, and I haven't really touched the mill since. I've been getting so many boards professionally fabricated for my store lately that I'm spoiled now. Soldering to bare copper now almost feels barbaric. hahaha

storyboardist

Quote from: cooder on September 10, 2020, 01:16:52 PM
Very tidy and great build! Do you have a photo of how pcb looked on copper side after CNC? Just curios. How long did it take to mill pcb?

Thanks! I don't remember exactly how long it took. Several hours though, so way longer than etching chemically. I figured out after I milled this that the speed controller for the router wasn't working properly so the cuts weren't clean at all really and had lots of burrs, but it worked perfectly fine. Here's a vid of the mill and a pic of the end result: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzEm6R8H-j8/

matmosphere

Can it drill enclosures too, or just engrave them?

storyboardist

Quote from: Matmosphere on September 10, 2020, 11:35:38 PM
Can it drill enclosures too, or just engrave them?

Theoretically it could do both, but with the stock router (which is just an electric motor with a chuck on it) I don't think I'd try much aluminum carving. I honestly didn't get too deep into the mill because of time and then I got distracted with 3D printers. lol

matmosphere

Yeah, I remember us talking about ender 3's a while back. I'm really enjoying mine, but I am a little afraid of the amount of small plastic crap it brings into the world.

Hexjibber

Love the clean look of this, those knobs are on point!