News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mark Hammers Woody

Started by Scruffie, November 30, 2011, 06:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

First build in a while but i'm pretty pleased with how it came out (despite not having tools or means for graphics at present).

An Acoustic Simulator in a 1590B With Battery, probably the tightest build i've done but I managed to get it all in snuggly, the wiring is actually a bit neater than the picture shows too (there's method in it... the picture just makes it look like a nest) oh and the LED resistor is just like that 'till I find some heat shrink.

The effect its self is great, if you're looking for an acoustic simulator, or just something to add a bit of flavour to your tone, I can't reccomend it enough (I beleive it turned out that the Biyang pedal company pinched this design as well so it was clearly good enough for a pedal company).

Works at Lectric-FX

jtn191

mm where'd you get the board? demos plz?  ;D

Scruffie

Quote from: jtn191 on November 30, 2011, 07:40:14 AM
mm where'd you get the board? demos plz?  ;D
I had a very small batch made, they're not available.

As for Demos, i'm not set up for them but there's a soundclip in the DIY Files on Marks site - hammer.ampage.org/
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

Is the layout readily available?

bangerang101

Not sure where he got his board from, but you can etch your own w/ this layout I found on the web: http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/M._Hammer_s_Woody.pdf
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 30, 2011, 09:09:39 AM
Is the layout readily available?

4 Layer, not etchable.

But as bangerang points out, there's quite a few PCB layouts for this available.
Works at Lectric-FX

nzCdog

Thats awesome! 8)
What a cool pcb layout,must have a bit been tricky sizing it for 1590B
Great build!

TNblueshawk

Very nice build.

Can someone edumacate me on what an acoustic simulator is?
John

LaceSensor

cheers guys
looking forward to when I have time to build this - put in the archive for now.

Great looking build there dude, would like to hear a clip too.

jtn191

Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 30, 2011, 02:21:37 PM
Very nice build.

QuoteThis uses a simple exciter circuit and a bass boost to get a bit of the boom and crispness of an acoustic.

the concept is something like

would you consider buying a larger batch down the road, scruffie?  ;)

Scruffie

Quote from: nzCdog on November 30, 2011, 11:39:43 AM
Thats awesome! 8)
What a cool pcb layout,must have a bit been tricky sizing it for 1590B
Great build!
I think I can actually make it tighter and smaller with more component space, 4 layer boards FTW!

Cheers man  :) I really love this pedal and I will say building the PCB was a breeze, knocking the layout together took an evening, a year ago, before I improved my layout skills (not that they're amazing but still, it can be improved).

Quote from: jtn191 on November 30, 2011, 03:06:00 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 30, 2011, 02:21:37 PM
Very nice build.

QuoteThis uses a simple exciter circuit and a bass boost to get a bit of the boom and crispness of an acoustic.

the concept is something like

The AC-3 is digital (I think?) It's probably closer to the AC-2 build wise (there is a project for this somewhere) but the build is simpler and many say the sound is better but yes, basically, it emulates an Acoustic Guitar!

In practice obviously it doesn't completely capture the sound but in a band situation, it'd definitley be great for a bit of rhythm acoustic without a guitar change or for an intro. Can't say how much I enjoy this one.

would you consider buying a larger batch down the road, scruffie?  ;)

If someone will front the money (I honestly can't afford it) and if Mark (Mr Hammer) Agrees, i'd be happy for the layout to be available, as it stands now though, there are only 4 of these boards in existance.

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 30, 2011, 02:28:15 PM
cheers guys
looking forward to when I have time to build this - put in the archive for now.
Definitley give it a shot!

QuoteGreat looking build there dude, would like to hear a clip too.
Thanks  :) It's not the best i've done but i'm happy she'll hold up, although if anyone has suggestions for graphics (especially those can be done without etching etc.) i'd love to hear them.

I'll see what I can do regards clips... no promises it'll be the best quality though.

Edit: Oh and if people want some of my layouts (all with onboard pots) there's a thread here - http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13740
(If you can't tell from that and this thread, I like 1590Bs, Batteries & Onboard Pots  ;D )

I did post them all here but they were lost when the forum went down months back.
Works at Lectric-FX

nzCdog

QuoteI think I can actually make it tighter and smaller with more component space, 4 layer boards FTW!
4 layers!  Epicness 8)
Hmmm I am very interested in this now... having played with a boss version once, it is an awesome unit to totally change your sound for a song without changing guitars :)

Scruffie

Quote from: nzCdog on November 30, 2011, 04:05:22 PM
QuoteI think I can actually make it tighter and smaller with more component space, 4 layer boards FTW!
4 layers!  Epicness 8)
Hmmm I am very interested in this now... having played with a boss version once, it is an awesome unit to totally change your sound for a song without changing guitars :)
Yeah, 4 layers just make Power or V.Ref & Gnds sooo much easier and allows for a tighter and neater lay out... it does mean the boards are pretty expensive though unless you buy 100 (as this was done with Express PCB which is pricey unless you bulk buy) much like the Bad Stone run I helped organise previously... which I think were around $10 a board, can't think off the top of my head.

This is great for a 1590B but i'd love to see a deluxe model (that's basically my entire pedal board, 1590B versions of things for gigging easyness, then deluxe versions to experiment at home and in the studio) so I wonder if there's a project Bean could produce... after the next 30 or so on the way haha.

Definitley handy, even if you're not going for Acoustic it can add a great 'sparkle' to your sound and stacks well with other effects, it's like a dual use EQ.
Works at Lectric-FX

TNblueshawk

Well, learn something every day. Thanks for the info.
John

jambforthelamb

Awesome job on the tight squeeze!

-jftl