News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Favorite pedal brand

Started by Thewintersoldier, September 24, 2020, 11:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dont-tase-me-bro

I have a couple Moog Moogerfoogers and they are ridiculous - they far surpass regular pedal usage and anything else I own.  However, totaling their costs was a main factor for buying a soldering iron and teaching myself how to do this stuff.

But that Moog stuff really is cool
I thought this would save me money.

Thewintersoldier

I've never played the big moogs but they sound cool. I can only imagine there is a lot going on inside them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

matmosphere

I have a MF102 (ring mod) and it is hands down the greatest pedal I've ever played with. You can use it as a tremolo and it sounds ridiculously good.

I fixed a friends mf102 (his was through-hole, mine is unfortunately not) it wasn't incredibly complicated, but I didn't get to far into it.

lars

I like DOD, especially their older stuff. The original 250 overdrive is fantastic, although I'll never own an original since they go for ridonkulous prices. The big box effects like the 680 delay were great. And the FX90 still has to be one of the most underrated "rated" pedals out there. Despite tons of reviews saying that the FX90 is good, they still can be found for dirt cheap all the time. DOD has had their fair share of bizarre pedals too:  the Gonkulator, Vibrothang, and the all-time worst sounding distortion ever made...the FX33 Buzz Box.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Muadzin

EHX makes fun stuff, even today they are pushing the envelope. I just wish they would use smaller enclosures. But my biggest love was and still is Boss. Ever since my formative first guitar playing years in the 80's I've been hooked hook line and sinker on the small colored boxes. And modding Boss pedals was what got me into the hobby. I've had EHX pedals that I don't use, I've got Boss pedals I don't use. I will sooner part with my EHX pedals though, as I do love to collect Boss pedals. Yeah, Boss is a little more conservative in its extreme sounds then EHX, but you can drop any Boss pedal from a tower block roof, use a Boss pedal to hammer a zombie's brain, and they will survive. The old EHX pedals look flimsy in comparison. And sometimes you need simple straight forward bread and butter pedals. Plus Prince LOVED Boss pedals, he had a great guitar tone and was a great guitar player, so they can't be bad.

Honorable mentions go to Line 6 pedals, because the 4 modeler pedals are awesome value for what you get and offer some great use for effects abuse. And their smaller pedals aren't slouches either. Especially the Echo Park is a very underrated delay pedal.

jkokura

Maybe I'm boring, but if I had to choose one pedal brand, I'd probably pick Boss. They have some of my favs over the years. That or Strymon, although I've only used Strymon Delays and Reverbs, I'm still fairly certain I would be happy with their gear.

EHX has some good ones, but I haven't really looked at many of their products as 'I want that' type pedals.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 27, 2020, 01:10:22 PM
Quote from: rockola on September 24, 2020, 10:06:20 PM
Lovetone

I have never actually played a lovetone, I'm working my way up to the deadendfx builds.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

I gotta go with lovepedal..... Although I have never played an actual Lovepedal. I have built his univibe, jtm 45 thing and a bunch of the drives and they all sound great. Stuff I actually own would be TC, I love my Alter Ego X4 and Hall of Fame Reverb.

gordo

+1 on Line6.  The MM4 is a mainstay on my board.  Way too big and clunky but I've tweaked it to unity gain and it does everything I could ask of a mod pedal.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on September 28, 2020, 05:02:33 AM
I have never actually played a lovetone, I'm working my way up to the deadendfx builds.

In all honesty... The DEFX builds are fantastic! And, their build docs are top notch. You really should give them a try. Probably a higher parts count than anything you have built to date (possibly except the DC ECHO) but well worth the build!

jimilee

I guess if we're getting into boutique, the VFE pedals are some of the most well thought out pedal in the ideal form factor. I love building them, they always feel so solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

storyboardist

Gotta go with Earthquaker stuff personally. They're the brand I have the most of both production pedals and DIY clones. EHX would be a close second.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: storyboardist on September 28, 2020, 05:23:23 PM
Gotta go with Earthquaker stuff personally. They're the brand I have the most of both production pedals and DIY clones. EHX would be a close second.
I used to be big on earthquaker, I had a ton of their stuff but I ended up selling most of them. I often found I preferred the original circuits many of their pedals are based on. I appreciate the effort they put into not being boring or run of the mill though.

Who the hell is Bucky?

Muadzin

Lovetone pedals are awesome, and I wanted them SO BADLY when I first saw them. Until I got a few clones and realized way too many knobs. It's like going to the store to get peanut butter and finding 50 different brands, types and flavors. 4 is about my max with knobs these days, less is more, especially with mod pedals. LOVE the one knob MXR and EHX phasers.