News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow Loris (Gearside caption contest prize build)

Started by EBK, September 30, 2020, 09:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

After I won the Gearside caption contest, I selected a Slow Loris board as my prize.

Here is my build.  The graphic is my attempt at commemorating this entire year with non-political humor. 

The glyphs below the toggle can best be explained, perhaps, by breaking them into their components:
SS = pair of Si diodes
LL = pair of LEDs
SSS = asymmetrical Si diodes

Thank you again, Matthew, for your very generous prize!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

cooder

Super sleek and tidy! Perfect drilling for the 9mm pots too, swish.
BigNoise Amplification

Bio77

Man, that's awesome!   I love the knob choices and the pallet, it highlights all that precision.

Is that a 1590B or the tall?

matmosphere

That is awesome man! So well done. Where did you find white 9mm pots, I've never seen that before

EBK

Thanks, guys!  I had a lot of good luck when working on this enclosure.  I kept the drill template taped to it while drilling, which allowed me to continuously adjust the hole position as I widened the holes.  Also, I managed to paint it white without specks of dirt and fuzz ruining it by holding it up while painting instead of setting it down onto a table or the ground.

Quote from: Bio77 on September 30, 2020, 11:19:19 PM
Is that a 1590B or the tall?
It's a 1590B2.  Taller than a 1590B, but not as tall as a 1590BS.

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 01, 2020, 01:16:03 AM
Where did you find white 9mm pots, I've never seen that before
Those are regular 9mm pots with white knob caps added to them.
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/micro-knobs-colors/

The larger knobs were specifically chosen to match the black dot indices on the smaller knob caps.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

mauzau

benny_profane

That looks amazing! Very clean work and great design!

EBK

Thanks!  I'm quite proud of this build.

Tonight, I finally got to test its full range, which very much matches the description in Brian's build doc.  It has a wide range of sounds: searing/edgy/gritty/buzzy/chunky. You can coax a bit of smooth warm and fuzzy sounds out of it if you try hard enough, but it really excels at the opposite end of the spectrum (aggressive and bitey).
Seems quite responsive to picking dynamics too.  Fun circuit!

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on October 02, 2020, 07:15:01 PM
Thanks!  I'm quite proud of this build.

Tonight, I finally got to test its full range, which very much matches the description in Brian's build doc.  It has a wide range of sounds: searing/edgy/gritty/buzzy/chunky. You can coax a bit of smooth warm and fuzzy sounds out of it if you try hard enough, but it really excels at the opposite end of the spectrum (aggressive and bitey).
Seems quite responsive to picking dynamics too.  Fun circuit!

Is this your first rat??

EBK

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on October 02, 2020, 07:48:33 PM
Quote from: benny_profane on October 02, 2020, 07:37:46 PM
Is this your first rat??
Yes.  First rat.  It surprised me, as you can tell.   ;D

I am extremely happy for you. First meeting that monster is truly a wonderful moment.

Hexjibber

This is awesome man, great from top to bottom, inside and out! Excellent work!

EBK

Quote from: Hexjibber on October 05, 2020, 02:43:12 AM
This is awesome man, great from top to bottom, inside and out! Excellent work!
Thank you!

matmosphere

Man this thread is giving me the itch again. I might have to draw up a couple more at some point.