News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pepper Spray debug

Started by Strategy, October 02, 2020, 12:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strategy

Sorry if this isn't the right subforum! And, I did some searching before posting.
Built a "stock" Pepper Spray, older single-sided etched board version, with a couple variations
- Electrolytics instead of tantalums
- .56u in place of the .50u capacitor (I think..don't have it all in front of me)

The 2n3565 is the gold legs type, Small Bear, 2n404a is the metal can type, Small Bear.

I get action here but it's super quiet. Harm, Bal, and switch work as they should but noise floor is high and I have to crank my amp to hear it. Sounds cool, like I'm in a Touch n' Go label band from the late 90s. But way too quiet.

- I do not have a way to measure hfe on my transistors; I've built some fuzzes but nothing requiring that level of science.
- I have spares of each transistor, I guess I should try swapping them out.
- I cannot figure out the pinout of the 2n3565. Flat side and pins do not correspond in an obvious way. I've tried putting it in two different ways with no differences in performance.

Percolator experts, what obvious issues should I look at / what noob type mistake have I made / etc.?
While folks answer this I guess I'll go back in my garage at some point today and swap out the transistors and see what happens.

So grateful for your all's help.
Kindly,
STRATEGY

Strategy

Update: swapping in my spare 2n404a and 2n3565 give slightly better results but low volume issue persists.
thanks!
Strategy

danfrank

There's a dent on the case of the 2N3565 which denotes the emitter. Next pin is base, last leg is collector.
Follow the links on the madbean build instructions to learn more about the circuit, like transistor gain values, etc.
You should be using tantalum capacitors in the 2 spots requesting them.
The "stock" version isn't that popular, make the "albini" version.
The clipping diodes really lower the output of the effect. What I did with mine is use a SPDT center off switch. That way the center position gives a lot more output, but the circuit won't clip. It's a trade off...

midwayfair

Post voltages taken on all pins of the transistors. You should also consider audio probing the circuit on the base of Q1 and Q2 and the collector of Q2.

Take pictures of the board so we can verify that your resistors are all correct, though that's less likely on this fuzz than some others like the Fuzz Face (where people will frequently mix up a 470R with a 470K). You might want to measure them.

Strategy

OK! Need to order some tantalum's in the correct values and swap parts out, will circle back after I get the build updated
- Strategy