News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NEW Video!! Through Zero A/DA Flanger

Started by danfrank, October 03, 2020, 11:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

I've been wanting to do this one for a long time but was unsure about what way would be best. Basically, I used 2 Lectric FX Flintlock PCBs and configured the second board as a straight delay line. Originally, I was gonna use a 256 stage BBD for the delay line because I thought there would be clock noise issues but I ended up using a MN3007 for the delay line. Clock noise isn't an issue which is great.
This can do positive TZF and negative TZF, selectable by the "odd/even" harmonics switch. On negative TZF, I can dial in the manual knob to where the output signal completely cancels out and there is zero output. Personally, I like the positive TZF better because at the positive zero point the output signal peaks and is momentarily louder. By adjusting the manual knob on the delay line I can place the through zero point at the high end or low end of the sweep or anywhere in between.
There is a couple of caveats with this project... First, since the 2 MN3007s are direct coupled to the op amp that provides the bias voltage to them, both MN3007s need to have very close bias voltage points which isn't that hard to do. Second, this thing uses 85-95 ma so a 1054 charge pump would be marginal at best and you'd definitely have to use a low dropout 15 volt regulator. I just made it a lot simpler by powering it with 18 volts... One less clock to cause problems...
Oh, and the second footswitch is to change between normal A/DA (red LED) or TZF A/DA. The green LEDs are LFO speed indicators.

dan.schumaker

Wow!  That's nuts (but in a good way)  ;D  Way to make through-zero work out on that!

danfrank

Thanks for your comment. I may make another one so I can use them in stereo on a mixing board. I need to figure out a way to make the LFOs of each channel work in unison, probably just using one LFO for both channels

Invertiguy

Sweet Jesus, that thing is INSANE. What kind of deranged madman not only dreams up such a thing, but actually carries through with his psychotic delusions?  :o

Seriously though, that is an incredible build dude. I wish I had the time, energy, and mental fortitude to attempt such a wild and ambitious project! MAJOR kudos to you for not only coming up with the idea in the first place but for actually putting it all together and making it work!

Also, do you have any sound clips? I'd love to hear that monster in action!
Doomsday Devices

danfrank

Hi, yeah your first paragraph nailed it. Lol!
I'm not set up to record here at home but give me a week or two and I should have something that I'll be able to post.
I also want to post a clip of Lectric FX's DC Echo, a really great analog delay.

cooder

Amazeballs by the power of ten! Congrats for pulling that off!
Yes a demo would be coolio!
BigNoise Amplification

danfrank

Ok, so I had to add another mode for this thing... It now has TZF 2 (both delay lines only) and TZF 3 (both delay lines plus the dry signal going through) Thanks to C.B. Audio for the idea. A spectre told me about it... Lol!
I don't know if I can do anything extra with the extra mode but, hell, it gave me a reason to add another switch to the box. And more switches and/or knobs is always a good thing!

lars

Quote from: danfrank on October 03, 2020, 11:47:04 AM
This can do positive TZF and negative TZF, selectable by the "odd/even" harmonics switch. On negative TZF, I can dial in the manual knob to where the output signal completely cancels out and there is zero output. Personally, I like the positive TZF better because at the positive zero point the output signal peaks and is momentarily louder.
Outstanding job. It would be great to hear a soundclip of this beast. I agree with you about positive TZF. I think it's just a more interesting, more rare effect. Negative TZF to me sounds like somebody taking a plain flanger and just turning down their guitar knob at the peak.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

danfrank

Hi and thanks. I'm gonna try to get something to post this weekend (yeah, I know, I've said that before)...
This thing can get lots of chorus and vibrato sounds also. Adding the dry signal to the output puts the kibosh on the TZ sound when both delays are engaged, but I think I can make it more interesting with putting a level control on the dry through signal. With TZ, you want the 2 delay lines to be prominent.

danfrank

Ok, I was able to make a couple of quick and dirty videos of this. Hopefully y'all can get a general ideo of what this can do. But, honestly, there are so many variations of sounds that this box can make, which is probably the one drawback to this box... It's not the most user friendly effect.
Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/rS0Ue3HyiEs

danfrank

Some more flanging goodness. These were taken on a cell phone so there may be a loss of sound quality.

https://youtu.be/BDZwlXhW4NE

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

After watching both videos, damn....that thing is amazing. So many great sounds, but I would need a manual and my anxiety meds to learn to navigate all those knobs and switches. Its truly impressive and inspiring.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

What a beast and what haunting unique sounds... I bet you're still lost in it dialing in more goodyness while I'm typing this.
A rabbit hole in a box
BigNoise Amplification

Leevibe

The fact that you figured this out is super impressive to me. Very well done man.