News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A/B switch with 3pdt bi color led switch

Started by bastafari, October 05, 2020, 01:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bastafari

Ok so I use this hosa foot switch for my boss katana. I want to upgrade it with LEDs so I can tell what channel I'm on. I thought I would try and save myself the frustration of trying to figure it out and ask for help for advice on proper wiring. Attached pictures are of the new switches in the housing and the original switches and their wiring. Thanks!

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

mjg

As a first step, you'll need to provide some power to the new housing, so that the LEDs have something to be powered by.  Not sure if you've already done that and it's not in the picture.

bastafari

Quote from: mjg on October 05, 2020, 01:54:27 PM
As a first step, you'll need to provide some power to the new housing, so that the LEDs have something to be powered by.  Not sure if you've already done that and it's not in the picture.
Im going to use a 9v for the time being until I find a 9v barrel connector I like.

matmosphere

I'm not really familiar with the amp. How many channels does it have, and can you describe how you want states LED's to show?

I'm generally against batteries, but if you rigged something up with two or three rechargeable double a's they would probably last forever in there.

bastafari

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 05, 2020, 03:11:15 PM
I'm not really familiar with the amp. How many channels does it have, and can you describe how you want states LED's to show?

I'm generally against batteries, but if you rigged something up with two or three rechargeable double a's they would probably last forever in there.
So the amp has four channels. Bank 1 has 2 channels and bank 2 has two channels. Each throw of the switch changes them, they do not layer on top of one another. These switches have two colors. On the side you see three legs so one is ground and the other are + for each color. I just want the lights to illuminate depending on which channel, or at least bank I'm on.

matmosphere

So does one switch select between the two banks and the other between the two channels for each bank?

And you want to do two color LEDs for each switch correct? Do those switches have two color LEDs built in?

bastafari

No, right now it's more like the left switch is bank A and switches 1 and 2 and right switch is bank B and switches 3 and 4. Yes these new switches have LEDs built in.

bastafari

I found this diagram but there's no output Jack or pcb per say, not sure if I should follow it and reassign the labels as channels maybe ?

mjg

Try something like this:

One row of the switch connects the black and red of your jack.  Much the same as what you have in the existing switch.
Another row of the switch has the middle lug going to battery -ve.  The two outside lugs go to the cathode legs of the LED - one for blue, one for red (or whatever colour you've got). 
The anode of the LED goes via a CLR, into the battery +ve. 

Repeat for the 2nd switch. 

(This is making some assumptions - that it's a common anode LED, and that the brightness will be OK with the same value CLR - you can put 2 CLRs in per LED instead, one for each colour, between the switch and cathode legs if you want to control the brightness differently for each colour)

bastafari

Quote from: mjg on October 05, 2020, 10:49:20 PM
Try something like this:

One row of the switch connects the black and red of your jack.  Much the same as what you have in the existing switch.
Another row of the switch has the middle lug going to battery -ve.  The two outside lugs go to the cathode legs of the LED - one for blue, one for red (or whatever colour you've got). 
The anode of the LED goes via a CLR, into the battery +ve. 

Repeat for the 2nd switch. 

(This is making some assumptions - that it's a common anode LED, and that the brightness will be OK with the same value CLR - you can put 2 CLRs in per LED instead, one for each colour, between the switch and cathode legs if you want to control the brightness differently for each colour)
Ooh ok cool, thanks! I'll try it out in a day or two when I get some time again.

bastafari

So that worked out great! Thank you very much.