News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eddie Van Halen has died. Age 65

Started by culturejam, October 06, 2020, 01:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2020-10-06/eddie-van-halen-guitar-dies-65

QuoteEddie Van Halen, the all-American guitar hero who, with his namesake hard-rock band Van Halen, redefined the sound and possibilities of the electric guitar in the 1970s and '80s, died on Tuesday at age 65. The cause was throat cancer.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

I just read the article. Sad day.

My fav will always be the first album. Track list reads like a best of album.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sjaustin

A true legend. Even though it's not really my cup of tea, there's no denying his influence on the instrument, and on rock. Gone too soon. I'll kick on a Phase 90 in his honor tonight.

Haberdasher

Truly one of the great guitar heroes.  I'll never forget my older cousin hipping me to EVH in Baton Rouge, LA when I was a kid.  My little mind was blown, lol.  I begged my parents for months to get me an axe and an amp.  Ended up with a nylon string classical instead.  As a result, I never properly learned Eruption. ;)

Thanks Eddie, and RIP
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

Truly changed the way we played and thought about guitar. I'm jealous he got to tour with his son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Damn, that's is sad news in a year that's full of sad news. Those first couple albums are amazing. I could never hope to play guitar like that. Such an original style and sound.

alanp

Bummer :( Was he a smoker?

Also, I thought he was 70-something these days...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Sad news.

I had the pleasure to see his original Frankenstrat and original rig at the "It might get loud" exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum in NY.
Very touching, and so were all the other exibits in that amazing display.

BigNoise Amplification

davent

Quote from: alanp on October 06, 2020, 02:57:28 PM
Bummer :( Was he a smoker?

Also, I thought he was 70-something these days...

Tongue cancer earlier and throat cancer this time... loads of pictures where a cigarette is at least a guitar prop or in his mouth.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

madbean

Cannot express adequately how bummed I am about this. EVH wasn't a big influence on my own playing but Van Halen was a huge part of the soundtrack of my teenage years. I can still picture seeing the 1984 LP in the Sam Goody at the local mall, haha. He brought much joy to my angsty years.

lars

Quote from: cooder on October 06, 2020, 03:27:51 PM
Sad news.

I had the pleasure to see his original Frankenstrat and original rig at the "It might get loud" exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum in NY.
Thank you for posting those awesome pics! It gives us a true glimpse into EVH's actual guitar rig. I love how what looks like it used to be an original Vox Tonebender was turned into...a footswitch. It just goes to show that playing ability is always much more valuable than any effect.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

midwayfair

Bummer. Such a great player and innovator. I certainly rocked out to my share of his songs with my cousin when we were kids.

jimilee

Quote from: lars on October 06, 2020, 04:27:38 PM
Quote from: cooder on October 06, 2020, 03:27:51 PM
Sad news.

Thank you for posting those awesome pics! It gives us a true glimpse into EVH's actual guitar rig. I love how what looks like it used to be an original Vox Tonebender was turned into...a footswitch. It just goes to show that playing ability is always much more valuable than any effect.
Those are very cool. I always that his frankenstrat was a Kramer. I guess that was later. I had the pleasure of catching the carnal knowledge tour, he was just amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

QuoteBummer :( Was he a smoker?

Smoker, drinker, drugs, meth later on iirc (might be wrong), but no.... he says it was the metal picks he'd hold in his mouth...

czapa tranzystor 2