News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

'2222' Series Transistor Question

Started by 4stringphuzz, October 08, 2020, 12:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4stringphuzz

Hi everyone. I have a few pedals that I'd like to build soon (Third Man Bumble Buzz, Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss/Fix'd Fuzz), and all 3 call for variations of the '2222' series transistor. The Bumble Buzz/Blunderbuss call for 2N2222 transistors, while the Fix'd Fuzz requires an MPS2222. Are these all pretty interchangeable within the '2222' series? I'm interested in purchasing one of these options possibly to cover everything:

ATP2222A:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/transistor-atp2222a/

PN2222A:

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/pn2222a-pn2222-transistor-npn-40-volts-1a.html

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

mauman

To answer your question, I Googled the data sheets for each version and compared them.  It's a good way to get familiar with operating parameters, which differences matter, which ones don't, etc.  What I see is that your candidates are variations of the same design and any of them should work for the pedals you mentioned.  There are small differences in the beta, max voltages, saturation voltages, etc but not enough to make a difference in an audio circuit.  For the price, you could get some of each and try them all  ;), SB actually has 4 variations.   Just watch the collector/base/emitter pinouts, they're not all the same. The Fairchild/ON Semi MPS2222 and 2N2222 are laid out opposite from each other, for example.  The data sheets will guide you on that.   

4stringphuzz

Thank you so much, mauman! I also looked at the data sheets, but I just wanted to be certain that the slightly different specs of each in that series wouldn't make too much of a difference overall. I think I'll take your advice and mix and match from all of the different '2222' variations available. Great idea! Good reminder on the pinout of each transistor as well. I probably wouldn't have even remembered to check that.  :D