News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

softy relay question

Started by jacko, October 09, 2020, 02:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacko

sorry if this is a noob question Im not an EE just like building pedals. a friend mentioned I try this relay switching to minimize popping and Im curious why there are so many parts with the relay. Wouldnt it be easier to just use a latching stomp to switch the relay? Is the main purpose of the microcontroller etc to make it work with a momentary switch or do they further reduce noise, cost? Thanks for any info.

madbean

While I've never used a latching foot switch to drive relay bypass I'm guessing you still need to use some circuitry to prevent false or rapid triggers. But yeah, people like the soft touch due to quiet operation. So I guess that's the main benefit. Also you can program secondary functions with the switch held down. The Softie doesn't have one but the dual switching we developed when I was in Function F(x) does.

I think some of the older Frantone pedals did the latching switch relay. I'm sure there are others.

jacko

Cool man thanks for the reply. Ill try it both ways and see if theres any difference.