News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Skreddy!

Started by cooder, October 09, 2020, 01:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Rainy weekend here, great chance to do some boxing up of stuff that's coming together.

A trio of delicious Skreddys here, the Screwdriver, Hybrid Fuzz and Lunar Module (Called it Eclipse Fuzz).
All have a similar circuit topology but all have a unique flavour for sure and there's so many sounds in them with all the tweaking that can be done, need to spend some more time with them whacking it out. The neighbours will love it...  ;D

Hybrid Fuzz has a AC 176 Germ in there that fitted the bill and sounded nice. I was lucky to get a wee box full of GE trannies from a tube collector, most of the PNP but a few NPNs and this was one of them. Score.

Screwdriver, such a cool sounding circuit version, love it. Had one a while back which got twisted out of my hands, so good to have another one in my hands. AC187 in this and some Telefunken BC109Cs.

Lunar Module, I called mine Eclipse Fuzz. Very cool sounding fuzz too. Dark side of the moon.  8)
Q1 and Q2 are Telefunken BC108C and Q3 is BC 109B, all measured just above 400hfe.

BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Man what a great selection of pedals, that lunar fuzz is such a great sounding circuit! Nice work as always!

jimilee

Gettin Skreddy wit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

I have never played a skreddy pedal but heard nothing but good things. The screwdriver is the one meant for single coils right? Im gonna have to check one out, these look amazing!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

alanp

The Lunar Module was pretty meh for me, but I'm still in love with the Screwdriver (Madbean has an etch layout for this, 'Cosmopolitan'). Highly recommend a MP38A transistor in the screwdriver, if you can get one.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Quote from: alanp on October 10, 2020, 03:01:12 PM
The Lunar Module was pretty meh for me, but I'm still in love with the Screwdriver (Madbean has an etch layout for this, 'Cosmopolitan'). Highly recommend a MP38A transistor in the screwdriver, if you can get one.
Right. I ordered some then, because you said so.... ;) anyway, thanks for recommendation, I was curious about Russian trannies for awhile, hope I get a good lot. Fingers crossed, it's ebay... ::)
BigNoise Amplification

Bret608

Good ol' Skreddy! These are great takes on 'em, too.  ;)  Still love my Cosmo after all these years (although I will say, the Scarab Deluxe is a great counterpoint for those times when you want more mids). Stefan, I have a Lunar Module board still needing to be built up that I'm pretty sure you designed. Big Noise Fuzzy Bear? The kindly jubal81 PIF'd that to me when he was living in my town...

cooder

Quote from: Bret608 on October 13, 2020, 06:49:36 AM
Good ol' Skreddy! These are great takes on 'em, too.  ;)  Still love my Cosmo after all these years (although I will say, the Scarab Deluxe is a great counterpoint for those times when you want more mids). Stefan, I have a Lunar Module board still needing to be built up that I'm pretty sure you designed. Big Noise Fuzzy Bear? The kindly jubal81 PIF'd that to me when he was living in my town...
Yes that's an older board that I designed quite some time back after the same schematic. Do you have th build notes for it? Otherwise send me a PM and I'll see if I can dig it up.
BigNoise Amplification

287m

Nice Skreddy Cvlt Stephan, love it

actually, we can build 3 of them in same pcb/perf to save cost a bit. Did it in 1590B and with BC549C.

Bret608

Quote from: cooder on October 13, 2020, 12:06:24 PM
Yes that's an older board that I designed quite some time back after the same schematic. Do you have th build notes for it? Otherwise send me a PM and I'll see if I can dig it up.

I've got the schem at least--if you've got anything more that'd be great, but I'd still be all set to build it up if not.

cooder

Quote from: Bret608 on October 14, 2020, 06:19:51 AM
Quote from: cooder on October 13, 2020, 12:06:24 PM

I've got the schem at least--if you've got anything more that'd be great, but I'd still be all set to build it up if not.
I don't think I have more then the schematic... so maybe you just have to follow the parts from there, shouldn't be too busy as it's not that many.
Quote from: 287m on October 13, 2020, 10:52:01 PM
Nice Skreddy Cvlt Stephan, love it

actually, we can build 3 of them in same pcb/perf to save cost a bit. Did it in 1590B and with BC549C.
Sure you can build them on perf board well done, and the circuit topology is so similar that with a bit of tweaking the can all be built on the same pcb too. But I do enjoy the OCDness and the designing process of giving each a dedicated board front to back.
And 125B with topmounted jacks is my roll call as that's how my pedal board is setup.
BigNoise Amplification

Bret608

Thanks! I will be all set with schem, so no worries...

Chris (wintersoldier), you're right the Screwdriver is the one more suited to single coils. It's got quite a lot of bass in fact. I still want to try out the Hybrid and Lunar Module, though!  :)

cooder

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on October 10, 2020, 01:20:44 PM
I have never played a skreddy pedal but heard nothing but good things. The screwdriver is the one meant for single coils right? Im gonna have to check one out, these look amazing!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Oh yeah forgot to reply to that: I'm a single coil guy (mostly Tele) and dig the screwdriver. So yes I think they love each other to bits.
BigNoise Amplification