News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Very clever Mr. Bean

Started by jimilee, October 10, 2020, 04:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So I finished a pedal today and, after troubleshooting, I discovered I failed to solder all of the components. It seems Brian expects us to solder every component. After I did, the pedal worked. You win this round Mr. Madbean....this time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

This is why I clip leads after soldering.

jimilee

Quote from: Willybomb on October 10, 2020, 05:14:17 PM
This is why I clip leads after soldering.
I do that too,  missed soldering 1 or 5.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

somnif

Bah! Next you'll tell me I'll need to actually plug the pedal in! It's a circuit, that implies self-enclosed, why should I need to add anything to get it to work?!?!

(why yes, I did previously work an IT gig, why do you ask?)

gordo

Ha, I did this with the Wolf thing that was the echo/drive/phase.  I pin-soldered all the corners of the sockets and then never went back and finished them.  Plugged it in and WTF?  Trouble shot for about 15 minutes before the obvious displayed itself.  Worked like a champ once I finished it...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

Uh...

I never forget to solder everything. Honest!  ;D

Then there's SMD ics, where you aren't sure if all the pins are soldered or not... Schroedinger's Soldering Iron.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mjg

I had the same with one recently.  After a few minutes of puzzlement at no output, I remembered that installing the ICs into the empty sockets is probably a requirement for full functionality.

MTK

I was totally expecting this guy to have something to do with this post.

matmosphere

Yeah, it always catches me off guard that you can't just reverse the tip and sleeve wiring for jacks, just like I did on those eight jacks for that little mixer I'm making.

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 12, 2020, 03:07:30 PM
Yeah, it always catches me off guard that you can't just reverse the tip and sleeve wiring for jacks, just like I did on those eight jacks for that little mixer I'm making.
I mean, they all go to the same place don't they?