News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gain pot on the Faultline

Started by droptrd, July 08, 2010, 04:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droptrd

Ive noticed the gain on the faultline doesnt do much until the very end of its rotation.    Is there a way to make the gain pot more usable?    Is this a taper issue?

Also, is it better to use a passive bass pickup instead of an active pickup with this pedal?

Another question....is there a way to add or blend the clean signal with the dirty signal?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jkokura

There are available Blending circuits out there, but a blend knob can be achieved with a simple pot as a passive blender (as I've recently learned):

Attach the 'dry' input to the 'left' leg of the pot, the 'wet' pot to the 'right' leg of the pot, and the 'output' to the 'middle' leg of the pot. You can also switch the dry to the right and wet to the left if you'd prefer the opposite direction for the effect. This is passive, and if you want an active circuit you can look for the 'mini blender' circuit through Google. The active circuit enables the signal to be buffered so it retains a good input/output for you along long cable runs.

Also, the gain pot issue - I don't have the faultline, so I can't tell you if it's normal or not. What I can tell you is that different pot values and tapers may affect the result of you turning the gain knob. If you're not happy with it, try experimenting with larger/smaller pots or different tapers. Your ears will be much better judges than interweb explanations.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

droptrd

Thank you Jacob.     Ill be trying this out this weekend.     Thanks

Haberdasher

I'm about to build this next week so I'm curious about this issue.  Wouldn't using a 1M linear gain pot (instead of 1MA) help?  ???
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Haberdasher

Interesting thing I noticed on this Catalinbread Proto vid.  It looks like there's a ceramic cap (I assume a 47pf) soldered in between lugs 2 & 3 of the gain pot.  On our schematic here C4 (a 47pf cap) goes between lugs 1 & 3.  Am I just seeing things?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

Lugs 2&1 of the gain pot are connected.

Haberdasher

Oops my bad, so that wouldn't matter anyway.

What I read on freestompboxes is that most everyone says the gain is bunched up at the end of the pot, but that is the way the actual pedal really is.  Guitarists seemed to notice this more than bassists...

In order for guitarists to get more out of the gain pot, one person suggested using a 500K pot there and another said maybe a linear or even a reverse log 1M pot.

What are your thoughts on this, Brian?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

Yes, either a 1MB or C might make all the difference. I often use a C taper for gain controls like these.