News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Astroverb - DeadEndFX "Hooke"

Started by LaceSensor, October 29, 2020, 05:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Yo

Been doing bits and bobs of pedalbuilding recently and Phil from DeadEndFX https://www.deadendfx.com/ was kind enough to send me a PCB set for their take on the Spaceman Orion analog spring reverb, called the Hooke. A couple other people here have built one.

I decided to use a Hammond 1550E case. You have to be a bit careful exactly where you mount the reverb tank given the slightly smaller space than the recomended 1590D case. You can probably see because I didnt want to cut down the spring mounting screws, I had to flip one transistor and one capacitor on the top of the sandwiched PCBs to prevent fouling. Probably 5 minutes more spent measuring better would have avoided that.

Anyway, it sounds really cool - gives my reverb tank in the Fender HotRod Deluxe a good run. Amazing considering its based on a very cheap and small plastic reverb tank.

Gratituous pics to follow

First graphic print came out wrong so I ended up using part of it on the baseplate :)

Its recommended to put material / foam inside the case but I didnt have anything appropriate to hand and figured I can always add it later

jimilee

Most excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Betty Wont

Super cool. It neat seeing all the ways folks put these together. I keep my tank in a bubble wrap sock. I love this reverb. I dig your art.

LaceSensor

Quote from: Torgoslayer on October 29, 2020, 06:03:01 AM
Super cool. It neat seeing all the ways folks put these together. I keep my tank in a bubble wrap sock. I love this reverb. I dig your art.

Cheers. so you didnt do the spring mount stand offs at all?

Betty Wont

Quote from: LaceSensor on October 29, 2020, 06:18:57 AM
Quote from: Torgoslayer on October 29, 2020, 06:03:01 AM

Cheers. so you didnt do the spring mount stand offs at all?
Nope. I just stuffed it into a couple layers of mouser bubble wrap envelopes until the bundle filled the empty space in the enclosure and popped the lid on. I get no splash when i move it so I'm happy with it.

Thewintersoldier

Excellent build, looks fantastic and I know it sounds just as good!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

studiodunn

Great looking build! I just ordered some boards from dedendfx and didn't get this one because I couldn't see myself putting a 4"tall box on my board, but now.......

jjjimi84

LaceSensor

Quote from: studiodunn on November 03, 2020, 04:55:55 PM
Great looking build! I just ordered some boards from dedendfx and didn't get this one because I couldn't see myself putting a 4"tall box on my board, but now.......

The 1550E is a better option real estate wise than the 1590D for sure just make sure you measure more perfectly than me