News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current lover

Started by Thewintersoldier, October 21, 2020, 08:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

When I was still building my confidence in more complex builds and taking the next step in harder projects I often bought 2 boards in case I messed up the board and could start over. I have a couple of those boards left over so here is the first of those projects.
I put this together the past couple nights. While everyone was sleeping I was blowing off steam with the soldering iron. I ordered some aluminum knobs and nos mn3007 from Smallbear. OG Storm from X-Men seemed to fit well for the sound of this thing. Love this pedal, my favorite Flanger by far. To me it's more musical and less a gimmick like a lot of the more metallic and overpowering sounding flangers. Hope you all are staying healthy physically and emotionally.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Who the hell is Bucky?

danfrank

Nice! I really like your graphics. How do you like the sound? I have one of there boards but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: danfrank on October 21, 2020, 09:42:36 AM
Nice! I really like your graphics. How do you like the sound? I have one of there boards but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Thanks, I love the mistress sound. Its more subtle and chorusy than the boss, mxr or a/da. Doesn't get as extreme but that's what I like about it. It melds more with the signal instead of taking it over. Its warmer sounding than the more metallic sounding flangers. And that Storm image was a composite I put together of three different images. It was really hard to find an image that she didn't look like an 80s budweiser girl in the string bikini lol

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Nicely executed. I do live that flanger. I was lucky enough to buy one the Brian built, during a pedal purge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

Gorgeous build! Again, I really like the black graphics on white enclosure.

cooder

Spot on most, excellent! Colour, graphics and knobs just rock.  8)
BigNoise Amplification

Bret608

Yeah, those black aluminum knobs on white look great!

jjjimi84

Looks great! I love the original storm but the next stage of her evolution with the mohawk is so awesome. As a kid I remember reading those Claremont stories and just falling in love with comics.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on October 21, 2020, 02:45:26 PM
Looks great! I love the original storm but the next stage of her evolution with the mohawk is so awesome. As a kid I remember reading those Claremont stories and just falling in love with comics.
For me the apex of my comic reading youth was when spiderman got venom and then carnage. I used to love when deadpool would annoy parker too. The late 80s and early 90s had some great story lines in Spiderman and X-Men.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on October 21, 2020, 04:44:52 PM
For me the apex of my comic reading youth was when spiderman got venom and then carnage. I used to love when deadpool would annoy parker too. The late 80s and early 90s had some great story lines in Spiderman and X-Men.

Sorry about derailing your amazing work to talk comics but I remember hunting comic shops for the Maximum Carnage series and collecting all of them. Same with the early 90s marvel releases with the hologram card on them. I got get to painting some Marvel........

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on October 22, 2020, 06:07:59 AM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on October 21, 2020, 04:44:52 PM

Sorry about derailing your amazing work to talk comics but I remember hunting comic shops for the Maximum Carnage series and collecting all of them. Same with the early 90s marvel releases with the hologram card on them. I got get to painting some Marvel........
Don't ever apologize for talking comics, and yes you need to do some awesome marvel paintings!
Who the hell is Bucky?

alanp

There was one guy I knew in one school who read American comics. (They were very, very expensive, here in New Zealand, and book shops don't carry them.) So all my exposure to these characters was through shows like Xmen: Evolution (oh, and a Superman book Dad bought that had a handful of issues ranging from the 30s to the 70s.)

Always liked Marvel more than DC, the characters seem more human and relatable. (That explanation in _Kill Bill_ about Superman, and Clark Kent being Superman's critique on humanity... weak, useless... while in, say, Iron Man, yeah Tony definitely has issues, but he works through them like a normal person.)

To stop the derailment, verra nice box o' bits! :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Bio77

Awesome build! I agree with your appraisal of the sound.  In my opinion, the EM is different enough to be great in it's own right and doesn't really have to be compared to other flangers.