News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A Couple Bass Pedals

Started by storyboardist, October 15, 2020, 09:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyboardist

Been trying to box up some of my prototype builds lately. First up is my Sunndering bass preamp and DI. It's based on the Sunn S200 preamp, but with JFETs. 3-band EQ + volume control into a simple opamp-based DI. Graphics I just printed on medium weight paper and mod podged onto the enclosure.

(Drilling for the XLR was a PITA since my step bits stop at 3/4" and the hole needed is like .8"  >:( )

Next up is the Hot BOD bass drive, a modified DOD FX91. Used the Demedash Incandenza bypass scheme (555 flipflop to trigger a relay). Faceplate I printed on my resin 3D printer. Built it for a bass player friend who's in a band called "Midwell" so it's appropriately (appunpriately?) named. lol

Guy behind Effects Layouts

EBK

The knob combo on that first one looks amazing!  Very paw-like.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jjjimi84

Very nice, does the foot-switch go through the pcb?

jimilee

Man, that's are sharp. How do they sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

Quote from: EBK on October 15, 2020, 10:01:18 AM
The knob combo on that first one looks amazing!  Very paw-like.

I agree, that looks killer. Also dig the graphics and they came out super clean.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

cooder

Excellent stuff and looks to boot! 8)
How does the 'mod podging' of paper work, is that some glue stuff to soften the paper or how does that do? Looks sharp as.
BigNoise Amplification

storyboardist

Thanks guys!

Quote from: jjjimi84 on October 15, 2020, 10:07:29 AM
Very nice, does the foot-switch go through the pcb?

Yep. Big ol' hole in the middle of the pcb. Momentary switch goes through it and I use an extra plastic washer to space the enclosure doesn't short the back of the board.

Quote from: jimilee on October 15, 2020, 11:10:59 AM
Man, that's are sharp. How do they sound?

The Sunndering sounds great. Lots of EQ range and a ton of volume. The Hot BOD is great too. Not an over the top drive pedal by any means, but dirties up bass very nicely and the clean blend makes it super versatile.

Quote from: cooder on October 15, 2020, 12:48:38 PM
How does the 'mod podging' of paper work, is that some glue stuff to soften the paper or how does that do?

Mod Podge is a water based glue/sealer/finish. Looks like white PVA glue and dries clear. I brush a coat on the back of the paper, place it, then brush a few coats over the top to give it some durability. You could built it up thick and then flat sand it and clear coat it, but I've been too lazy to do all that. Brush strokes haven't been overly noticeable.

matmosphere

Man those look great!! That mod-podge work is way better than I have gotten it in the past, it's really clean and I can see almost no brush strokes.

Leevibe

Dude, that DI bass pre looks the business. I wonder how that would do as a studio bass DI.

Willybomb

Quote(Drilling for the XLR was a PITA since my step bits stop at 3/4" and the hole needed is like .8"  >:( )

I hear ya.  I usually grind it out a bit more by circling the drill bit around inside the hole.  Great builds by the way.

storyboardist

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 16, 2020, 11:59:45 AM
Man those look great!! That mod-podge work is way better than I have gotten it in the past, it's really clean and I can see almost no brush strokes.

Thanks man! Low light photography helped hide the brush strokes lol

Quote from: Leevibe on October 17, 2020, 10:04:12 AM
Dude, that DI bass pre looks the business. I wonder how that would do as a studio bass DI.

I've been using it live direct to the PA and with in-ears and there's a decent bit of background noise. It's not been that bad (or the sound guys would definitely have let me know) but with in-ears you hear everything. Though I've just been using a wall wart to power it, so with a better power supply it'd probably be fine. The goal was to create something good for live or studio use.

Quote from: Willybomb on October 17, 2020, 05:29:33 PM
I hear ya.  I usually grind it out a bit more by circling the drill bit around inside the hole.  Great builds by the way.

Yeah I did that a good bit, which helped. But between needing nearly another 1/8" and the tabs that needed filing to fit, I've already bought a stepper bit that goes up to 7/8" lol