News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Diode casing cracked

Started by Natibah, October 11, 2020, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natibah

Hello All,
I was putting together a pedal kit and one of the diode casings cracked. I figured it should still function, but once the pedal was together, the octave part of the pedal doesn't seem to do anything except light up an LED. The octave part routed through that diode, so I was thinking that it is the problem.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_toct_lo_dist_f.pdf
It is the D2 diode on that wiring diagram. Would a cracked diode casing result in no effect from the second footswitch (Sw2)?
Thanks!

alanp

Quite possibly the diode is dead. But they're cheap enough to replace :)

If you ask in the Parts Jar subforum, someone in your country might have a spare.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Natibah

Quote from: alanp on October 11, 2020, 02:37:52 PM
Quite possibly the diode is dead. But they're cheap enough to replace :)

If you ask in the Parts Jar subforum, someone in your country might have a spare.

I have extras. I dread trying to remove the one that is in there and replacing it.
Thanks.

Haberdasher

If you gently clip the leads of the diode first, it's often easier to remove the leftover ends after that.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Lubdar

Ha! funny you should mention this. I think I broke about 3 Ge diodes in 10 minutes yesterday just trying to put them into PCBS. Never had such bad luck...
(--c^.^)--c

Natibah

Quote from: Lubdar on October 12, 2020, 05:51:05 AM
Ha! funny you should mention this. I think I broke about 3 Ge diodes in 10 minutes yesterday just trying to put them into PCBS. Never had such bad luck...
Yeah, I had it soldered in but one end was higher then the other, so I decided to soften the solder and push that in a bit to even it out and it cracked. :(

SirEgno

Usually I do this with small fragile glass housing diodes. I use a little screwdriver as guide, and wind the leads on it.

They take more space, but I'm no longer a diode destroyer!

Natibah

Quote from: SirEgno on October 12, 2020, 11:20:51 PM
Usually I do this with small fragile glass housing diodes. I use a little screwdriver as guide, and wind the leads on it.

Interesting. It was a glass housing diode. I will give it a shot.
Thanks.

Lubdar

Quote from: SirEgno on October 12, 2020, 11:20:51 PM

I'll have to give that a try, that does seem like a good option!

For some reason I've always been concerned with having a exposed leads, which is why I've steered clear of vertical resistors (orthogonal to the pcb?). But if a small amount of exposed lead doesn't matter, I may try and vertically/orthogonally orient some diodes, since it might be easy to clamp part of the lead while bending the remainder.

testing testing testing...
:)
(--c^.^)--c