News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pig Butt tone bypass cap

Started by Thewintersoldier, October 18, 2020, 01:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

After building the 2019 Pig Butt I noticed when the tone circuit was bypassed the tone became so overly compressed that the tone was pretty unusable. There was a slight volume loss. I listened online and it didn't sound the same. Next I checked the build doc and double checked my values everything was right. I looked at every schematic I could find online and every schematic had C7 (for Brian's schematic) listed as 150n. In the 2019 PB C7 is 10n and in the 2015 version it's 1uf. I took out the 10n and socketed. I see Brian mentions different values for C7. I tried all values and ended up with the 150n. What did you guys use who have built it, and what where your results tone wise?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

Drew Hallenbeck

It's been a while since I built one of these (and it would have been the older version) but just taking a look, here's what I'm thinking:
R11 & R12 are forming a voltage divider which probably accounts for the drop in volume. To adjust this I would socket and try decreasing the value of R11, possibly even using a jumper in it's place.
That would leave you with a high pass RC filter with C7 & R12. With the values listed (10n & 47k) the cutoff frequency would be about 338 Hz. This might leave you feeling like there's something lacking in the lows. Changing C7 to 150n would drop the cutoff frequency to about 22Hz and help preserve some of that girth.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Scruffie

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=31389.0

But Drew basically covered it already.
Works at Lectric-FX