News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

KLON Centaur way too much treble

Started by pgodfrin, November 05, 2020, 04:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgodfrin

Well, back to the drawing board. I've reworked the schematic and pcb, in the process of reviewing it. There's so many components in this one, but I managed to get it down to 2x2.75 inches - and yes - two jumpers...
sigh.

pgodfrin

OK Folks, it works! And then it doesn't. Then it works! Really weird I'm not moving it when it stops, it almost seems like something gets hot and it stops, or expands a solder joint? Or maybe a cap is being overloaded? I don't even know what that sounds like, lol.
Anyway, I'll do the usual, check all the solders and reflow where obvious. I'll get the voltages soon enough.
In the meantime, anyone ever hear of something like this?

pgodfrin

Howdy folks! Now I know why checking the voltages is useful. I found that pin 7 on IC1 was really unstable, which led me, along with an audio probe, to a cap. Not sure what the issue was, it measured 1.4 uF (for a 1uF elec) but I replaced it. Voila - got a better signal. Replaced the IC as well and I got a working device. Which really made me happy since this was a pcb design I did myself in eagle from a schematic of the Klon Centaur.

I'd like to refine my etching process, as I found a couple teeny weeny flakes of copper causing shorts. One thing I've been doing is giving more space between the leads, which helps a lot. But, this pcb had so many parts I was forced to compress it a little.

Anyway, all's well that ends well!
peace,
pg

gordo

Good to see you got it worked out.  I've had the etching fail as well, where you can barely see a short.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pgodfrin

I was play testing it today, and it needs a buffer. I have 3 or 4 pedals before it today - yep - buffer...

Zerro

"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

Zerro

Maybe you could play around this enhanced Klon of Klon...

Zerro

By a way, at one schematic I found at web, for R11 is value 1k5. But for most others plans there are 15k! It will dramatically change sound! Even some caps have another values, but mostly only slightly in compare with anothers. As you can compare in links I sent before.