News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

KLON Centaur way too much treble

Started by pgodfrin, November 05, 2020, 04:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgodfrin

Howdy folks,
Built this from Effects Layouts: http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2016/03/klon-centaur-true-bypass.html#comment-form

Apparently it was built from FSB:https://guitargearfinder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/klon-centaur-schematic-high-res.jpg

Works great except the sound is very (VERY) trebly. I'm really not certain how to deal with that, but I have a guess. On the schematic C13 is 820p - if I increase that will it reduce the treble? How much should I increase it? If not, any suggestions how to reduce the treble?
much thanks
phil

madbean

Should go decently dark when you turn the tone control down, but overall the Klon is capable of a lot of treble boost. If you are completely certain you have all your parts/values right then replacing the 3n9 tone cap with 5n6 or 6n8 will darken it up quite a bit further.

pgodfrin

pgodfrin

Well, put a 6n8 in and nothing changed, dang. Seems like the tone control has little or no effect.
Not sure where to go next...
tx,pg

madbean

A pic of the top side of your build would help identify any errors that might be causing the problem. The tone control should have a very noticeable effect.

pgodfrin

pgodfrin

Howdy,
I reviewed most of the parts, not sure why my capacitance meter wasn't reading the values. But everything looked good. I experimented with spraying the top with clear coat, but I don't like the results, prolly try with matte finish next time. In any case, the arrows point to some box caps I wired in parallel to make the values I didn't have, 390nF and 27nF. The 392k resistor is tucked under the 27nF homemade cap...
I really appreciate the help and advice, much thanks.
pg

pgodfrin

I need to find a less impactful (pun intended) way of punching a divot for drilling, the auto-punch I'm using makes a pretty good impact crater! Anyone have any ideas?
pg

alanp

A normal center punch and a small hammer, then you can use as much or as little force as you like.

Is it still too much treble, even with the treble knob all the way down? (You didn't wire the treble backwards, did you?)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pgodfrin

That's the other issue, the treble know seems to have very little effect. Yeah center punch and small hammer seems the way to go.

jimilee

That's the unicorn tears working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pgodfrin

pgodfrin

Not sure where to look next, any one have any ideas?

m-Kresol

I'd suggest doing the usual debbuging procedure:
check all solder joints, etch traces, component values and orientation, measure voltages (there are values to compare to in the build docs usually)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pgodfrin

Yeah that makes sense, I checked most everything. No voltages as there are no docs. I'll go back in again...
:)