News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deadastronaut Chasm Reverb and Abductor II Delay (with effects loop)

Started by skyled, November 06, 2020, 01:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyled

These were my 2nd and 3rd builds ever. Chasm uses the Long Belton brick because I wanted it to be nice and spacey. The enclosure lettering is stamped and one of just a few that I used stamps on. It is by far the best stamping I did before abandoning the method because it's extremely difficult to get a good result without ruining the lettering. I've entirely switch to Dymo labels.

The reverb sounds great, especially on my Rhodes. It fills in the space very well without sounding overly effected or distracting like other fancy shimmer reverbs and such.

skyled

The Abductor II Delay was my 3rd ever build. I used film caps instead of ceramic in almost every instance because every noob knows that film caps sound better than ceramic. This was of course a terrible idea and made the build way more difficult than it should have been. Trying to stuff in giant film caps where tiny ceramics would have left plenty of room.

After I finished building this, it worked perfectly without any troubleshooting needed. I boxed it up, but then I saw an episode of That Pedal Show where they demoed a delay pedal where the delays had a sort of wah filter applied to them and I thought it sounded amazing so I decided I had to add a loop to mine also. Being a noob, I didn't really know where or how I could hack into the circuit so i just desoldered pads that seemed like they might work according to the schematic and then put the pedal aside in the partially complete pile for a few years.

Then a few months back I took another look at the schematic and found a place to add the loop in a way that can only be described as "stupid easy". Luckily, I'm not an enclosure masochist like some of you, so I still had room in my big enclosure to add the effects loop jacks.

As for the delay itself, it's great. Can get very lush and spacey with the 4 playback heads. I like to set the delay time rather short with lots of repeats and use it like a bizarre reverb. Again, sounds great on the Rhodes.

skyled

Here's a detail of the effects loop. You just have to lift one leg of capacitor C6, attach a wire to that lifted leg. Attach it to a 1u capacitor, then to the tip of your Send jack. Run a wire from the Send jack tip switch to the Return jack tip switch. Return tip is wired to another 1u capacitor, and then wired to the pad where C6 originally attached. The grounds of the Send and Return jacks have to be grounded, obviously. I'm not sure if those 1u capacitors are even necessary, but I know that it works this way :)

jimilee

I really like that effect. I built the first one on an etched board.....etched by the man him self. Jeeeesus what a headache that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.