News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NDD

Started by midwayfair, November 11, 2020, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

New drumkit day.

Decided it was finally time for me to learn how to play one of these things for real, so I'm diddling my paras and tapping my foot on the halfnote and all that jazz.

Also, I wanted a kit at the house for band practices and recording sometimes, we were using a cocktail kit for that and it was impossible to write parts on that thing.

Natal ash kit in bop size (18/14/12 and 13x5.5), got the shells used for a truly stupid price and new heads on everything as well, and they're the heads I would have bought, so bonus. If you're a real nerd and you want to know how they're tuned: snare - G beater/D snare side, then C and F for the toms (the floor tom's basically at its basement), and A/~Bb for the bass drum. I have a drum tuner that helps put all the lugs exactly in tune with each other so it sounds frigging baller. The snare's a little better than decent but Tim can just bring over the black beauty for recording.

I was EXTREMELY picky about the cymbals (I think I listened to a hundred different rides and almost as many crashes): Istanbul 17" Sultan crash and Meinl pure alloy 20" medium ride. They sound amazing together, but the Sultan is one of the only crash cymbals I've ever heard that I actually like. Top hat is a 1940s/50s Avedis, also obtained for a stupid price. Unfortunately its counterpart is a little warped and was rehammered less than ideally (would be a halfway decent dry crash), so I'm searching for a replacement (I'm using the 14" 'ride' from the cocktail kit as the bottom -- it works better but it's really heavy and sounds a little strange).

matmosphere

very nice! good luck on the journey.

midwayfair

My favorite muppet!

gordo

Did you move, or did your neighbor go deaf?  I seem to recall a time where you couldn't fart and not have them complain.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

midwayfair

Quote from: gordo on November 11, 2020, 04:55:00 PM
Did you move, or did your neighbor go deaf?  I seem to recall a time where you couldn't fart and not have them complain.

It's a rental house now. :) I do still try to be respectful -- I don't play after 8, I don't hit the drums hard (a good habit anyway), etc. It's also not a loud kit, which I knew when I got it. Even the crash cymbal is relatively low volume (part of the reason I picked it). But yeah, I would not have attempted this if they were still living there. Yet another way my quality of life has improved in the last few years.

gordo

Good for you, I remember all the hassles you went thru in the last place.  Nothing like having a practice space at your disposal.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

midwayfair

Quote from: gordo on November 11, 2020, 05:41:26 PM
Good for you, I remember all the hassles you went thru in the last place.  Nothing like having a practice space at your disposal.

oh, sorry, I can see how I said that was confusing. WE didn't move -- my neighbors moved, but they still own their house and they're renting it.

We actually tried to get them to sell the house to some friends of ours, who were house hunting around the time their first tenants were moving out, but they decided to keep it.

jimilee

Nice, congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

MTK

Wow! That's a sweet set. I'm a big fan of smaller kits.