News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Somnambulist (Korg MS-20 HPF)

Started by diablochris6, November 15, 2020, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

It's been way too long since I've finished a pedal! With the whole teaching and homeschooling my own kiddos due to pandemic, I haven't had much time to actually sit down and build anything for myself, which I'm sure many of you can commiserate. What pedal-building free time I had over the summer was mostly spent being semi-professional by designing PCBs for others and helping to develop an analog flanger for a company, and I rarely felt the desire to buy components to finish any of my own projects. I finally got around to finishing this one though; it's a high pass filter based off the Korg MS-20 that has two LFOs battling for filter sweeps and a spot for an expression jack, and I call it The Somnambulist. There is actually a spot for a switch to toggle between LPF and HPF modes, but I wanted two distinct pedals to play around with this time. The background art is a color-inverted image of a watercolor painting my son did.

And side by side with its evil twin.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

mjg

I like what you've done with the inverse coloured variants.  Nice.

I've got that filter on my list to build, but in eurorack format.  Do you have a schematic for what you've done that you are happy to share?

alanp

Chris, you are getting really good with these slick layouts!

mjg, I've got a layout for Rene Schmitz' MS20 circuit in Eurorack, let me know if you're interested.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mjg

Sure, that would be appreciated Alan.  Maybe send me a PM?

cooder

That's wild and awesome! Very slick designed inside out.
Any chances of a demo?
BigNoise Amplification

Bio77

Those look great!  I was working on a Sagan Delay this weekend, +1 on the layouts, very cool.

diablochris6

Quote from: mjg on November 15, 2020, 02:18:54 PM
I've got that filter on my list to build, but in eurorack format.  Do you have a schematic for what you've done that you are happy to share?

Here is the link to my build doc. https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/my-drive Keep in mind that this board was mostly an experiment. There are some board fixes that change the schematic a little bit. I would also think that there is a better way to implement the LFOs, I just haven't really sat down to fine tune it. The expression pedal feature is nice, especially on the LPF version of the pedal. I prefer this sound over a wah. All this to say, use at your own risk! Haha.

Quote from: cooder on November 15, 2020, 11:48:02 PM
That's wild and awesome! Very slick designed inside out.
Any chances of a demo?

Maybe I can make a demo if I have time this weekend.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here