News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mounting potentiometers

Started by 3tonesnd, November 14, 2020, 03:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3tonesnd

Hi!

I completed some builds wich allow PCB-mounted pots, but all pots i have are short-lugged, so mounting them as is = placing pot shaft in parallel with pcb. What is the best way to mount them vertically? I tried to solder extra lugs wich were cut from soldered parts, but it seems not very firm and reliable. I thought about etching some small adapter boards with 3 tracks and 6 holes (with l-shaped connectors on one side). Is there any less tricky solution?
Pardon my english

matmosphere

If it's just one pot and the board is supported by other pots or switches I use cut leads from components to do this sometimes and it's fine. Just use thicker leads, like the ones from diodes.

Otherwise I use wire. I have rigged up little connectors using very to attach wire to, but generally don't worry about it.

Aentons

m-Kresol

you basically figured it out already. Just take some (thicker) wire, cut it to size and solder it on. works every time and regular pots are out of stock less often imo
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials