News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel ticking/clicking

Started by halfmassive, November 17, 2020, 06:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halfmassive

I built a 2019 pork barrel and I am getting a faint clicking or ticking sound that speeds up and slows with the rate pot.  Its louder in bypass, but its still there when the effect is on - just quieter.   Everything else sounds great on it - I've actually used it for close to a year and only noticed the noise when I removed a klon clone I had in front of it.  When there's a buffer (klon) before the pork barrel - no noise - once I take the buffer out I get noise.  I tried moving the wires around to see if I would notice something with the lead dress - it didn't have any effect. 

Any ideas what I can do to remedy the noise?

thomasha

Since I learned it I always add the BOSS trick to tame the ticking.
http://www.moosapotamus.net/files/stompboxology-mo-tremlo.pdf
look at fig. 3 with the soft square wave. It uses an extra cap. and resistor at the first opamp at the inverting input.

That and a 100R with a 47u cap. between 9v and the LFO power always seems to work.

halfmassive

Thanks for the info.  I would definitely like to try this but I'm a little unsure how to add these to the pcb.  Any idea how I would add these to the current version of the pork barrel?    I appreciate the help.

thomasha

Since this will require some changes on the board, I would try improving the lead dress first. Cut the wires as short as possible.
A large capacitor between 9v and gnd could help reducing the voltage drop that causes the tick.

halfmassive

Thanks very much. I'll give it a shot!

Aleph Null

Quote from: thomasha on November 19, 2020, 01:44:53 AM
Since this will require some changes on the board, I would try improving the lead dress first. Cut the wires as short as possible.
A large capacitor between 9v and gnd could help reducing the voltage drop that causes the tick.

This is definitely worth trying. I had a Pork Barrel that ticked. I routed the send and return wires along the edge of the enclosure instead of under the PCB and the ticking was cured.

madbean

A bit surprised since I've never had a ticking problem with the PB. The lfo part is located at the top furthest away from the audio section and even has its own ground plane.

Did you do top mounted jack's by any chance?

halfmassive

I have the jacks mounted on the side.  I added a pic.  The blue wire coming off the input jack was my first attempt to reroute a wire - it didn't help.  originally it was a little more direct to the stomp switch.  If anything jumps out at you guys please let me know.  I am going to try and redo some of the wiring once I get some time. 
Thanks very much for all the help - this pedal sounds so good I really hope I can dial out the noise - w/o just breaking down and finding a buffer to throw in front of it. 

halfmassive

Long story short I narrowed it down to a grounding issue.  I am using the isolated jacks (the style shown in the baby board build guide) and it seems like there was no connection to the chassis ground.  I put an enclosed, but not isolated tayda jack and then the noise went away. 

Now my question is on my other builds with isolated jacks do I need to do anything special for the grounding?  They are all working just fine but now I'm curious.

Thanks for all the help