News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your Preferred Pedal Amp

Started by jjjimi84, November 17, 2020, 08:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyled

Peavey Special 130 and Fender Princeton (non reverb) black face. I'm running my electric pianos through them so maybe not that helpful to you guys. They sound great through that Peavey though.

Tremster

Quote from: thesmokingman on November 18, 2020, 05:03:18 AM
Blackheart Little Giant ... even managed to hold onto two 1x10 matching cabinets. Currently unmodified and I may well keep it that way. I don't particularly feel the need to carve this amp up to make it "better"
Mine too, it's a great amp.

marmaliser

Fender deluxe 112 plus took pedals really well and through the Power amp in on the front an ADA MP1 sounded amazing. 

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: gordo on November 18, 2020, 09:50:25 AM
Bench amp is this crappy little solid state Harmony that I put an old Fender HRD 12" speaker in and it sounds REALLY nice and totally neutral so works well for testing and setting up pedals.

I just finished rebuilding a Traynor TS-25.  I used to have one of these when they were new and have been looking for another one since.  Not at all neutral but a cool amp and stupid loud for 25 watt SS.  Hard to believe it's 40+ years old.

Live it's a Peavey 6505 mh 20 watt tube amp.  Cleans on this thing are ridiculous and torturing the front end with a compressor and booster cuts a wide swath of tones.
I think most people who are pedal junkies like us are using a higher headroom cleanish tone as our base so that's a good place to start with whatever amp you use. Unless your showing a pedal that's made to use with a pushed amp like a treble booster or certain fuzzes then make sure that's a requirement. I wish that people showed the pedal used with different types of amps more instead of just one amp. Another thing is alot of people don't play at loud volumes anymore so I thi k it's important to show what it's like thru a real speaker at volume and a speaker sim. So many people are so focused on showing off their playing versus letting everyone know what the gear actually sounds like
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aentons

And don't forget the choice of speaker is essentially an eq which has final say as to how everything sounds

madbean

Right now I'm using the Princeton but most of the time it's my 70s silver Champ. Perfect amp for testing pedals ( for me). The Champ has developed some tube rattle though. Need to fix that.

flanagan0718

I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini as my bench amp. Then when I actually have a few min and get to play a few songs I use a Peavey Prowler. The Peavey is a 45 watt tube amp and the Fishman is a 60watt solid state. They both work well for pedals. I love the clean and lead channels of the Prowler.
-Mike-

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

pickdropper

Of all the amps I have, I find I use the Marshall 18W replica more than anything else when testing pedals.  But I highly value my vintage Marshalls and Fenders and more modern Mesas for seeing how things interact with different voicings.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jjjimi84

Quote from: madbean on November 19, 2020, 09:21:40 AM
Right now I'm using the Princeton but most of the time it's my 70s silver Champ. Perfect amp for testing pedals ( for me). The Champ has developed some tube rattle though. Need to fix that.

I remember building the peacekeeper or dangerzone and playing them with a marshall style and it didnt gel and then with my Allen Accomplice it was magic. I assumed you had used the fender as the pedal platform, glad i was right.

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on November 19, 2020, 05:25:55 AM
Quote from: gordo on November 18, 2020, 09:50:25 AM
Bench amp is this crappy little solid state Harmony that I put an old Fender HRD 12" speaker in and it sounds REALLY nice and totally neutral so works well for testing and setting up pedals.

I just finished rebuilding a Traynor TS-25.  I used to have one of these when they were new and have been looking for another one since.  Not at all neutral but a cool amp and stupid loud for 25 watt SS.  Hard to believe it's 40+ years old.

Live it's a Peavey 6505 mh 20 watt tube amp.  Cleans on this thing are ridiculous and torturing the front end with a compressor and booster cuts a wide swath of tones.
I think most people who are pedal junkies like us are using a higher headroom cleanish tone as our base so that's a good place to start with whatever amp you use. Unless your showing a pedal that's made to use with a pushed amp like a treble booster or certain fuzzes then make sure that's a requirement. I wish that people showed the pedal used with different types of amps more instead of just one amp. Another thing is alot of people don't play at loud volumes anymore so I thi k it's important to show what it's like thru a real speaker at volume and a speaker sim. So many people are so focused on showing off their playing versus letting everyone know what the gear actually sounds like

You make a really good point here, I like playing a clean amp and using pedals to muck it up or hitting something dirty with fuzzes. I am going to try tomorrow to run my Mesa TA-30 into a Two Notes live and run out to a 1x12 that is mic'd up. That way there would be speaker sim and actually amp sounds, not sure how it is going to turn out and I am sure phasing will be a nightmare but that would be a great way to use multiple speakers that I don't actually have. Plus that amp is a million sounds in it which would be like trying a pedal through multiple amps.

Here is my success from today, moving the shelves and junk around to shove this 1x12 in there to set up the mics and sound panels in the closet. 50 watt plexi sounded very tame in there, so I am going to keep with using higher watt amps for now and look to acquiring a princeton and tweed deluxe.

Also a preview of the EOO3 that is long been on the to do list.

Aleph Null

I use a Fender Excelsior with an Emminence Big Ben installed. I know that's not a common choice. I think it works well with pedals because the preamp has a very simple tone stack and the speaker isn't very peaky. All the frequencies you'd want are there.

Muadzin

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on November 19, 2020, 05:25:55 AMSo many people are so focused on showing off their playing versus letting everyone know what the gear actually sounds like

God help it if you want to hear a good higain rhythm tone and the person demoing it is a blues noodler or shred wannabe!

matmosphere

Quote from: Muadzin on November 22, 2020, 06:34:23 AM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on November 19, 2020, 05:25:55 AMSo many people are so focused on showing off their playing versus letting everyone know what the gear actually sounds like

God help it if you want to hear a good higain rhythm tone and the person demoing it is a blues noodler or shred wannabe!

I agree but good rhythm playing is much more difficult than halfway decent soloing/lead playing.

My question is what would actually show off what a piece of gear can do?

I have considered trying to make a series of videos or something that would highlight DIY circuits to highlight some of the really cool circuits that people have made, but I don't want it to be at all about me.