News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD - Phaez Jube 8W

Started by culturejam, November 24, 2020, 03:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

I had a Phaez a couple years back and sold because I got gear lust for...well, I forgot by now (I'm a whore). That one was a 14w Daisycutter and sounded awesome.

This one is an 8W Jube, which is a single-ended 6V6 with a clone of the Marshall Silver Jubilee for the preamp. It's basically Appetite for Destruction in a SE low-watt format. But as usual with all "low wattage" amps, it's loud as hell, haha. Sounds great and does the 80s JCM800 thing really well.

I emailed the builder (Randy Fay) to ask about pricing for this particular model, and he responded within an hour (on a random Thursday night). I want to take a shot at building my own head cab, and he was totally open to the idea of shipping it without a cab and adjusting the price accordingly. I also asked him to add a "Watts" knob (power scaling), and he only charged $30 to add it. Did a custom faceplate as well (included in price). He also included an etched logo nameplate for the cab (whenever I finish it). I'm very impressed with the quality and service.

First email to him was on Oct 16 and I got the amp today (from Canada). Not too shabby for a semi-custom build. Cost was $430 for the amp + actual shipping. I couldn't build this myself for that price.

Pics below. His older builds were 100% point-to-point (no PCB, no eyelets, no turrets), but his later stuff uses a combination of PCBs and on-socket / on-pot flying leads. For an amp with this much gain, it's surprisingly quiet.

Please ignore the ill-gotten Waffle House menu in the background.  ;D

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

cooder

Awesome looks like a great amp, score! Great service there by the builder and a great price for it for sure.
Looks like a fun machine and it's often surprising how much oooomph comes out of a small single ended amp.
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.