News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hudson Broadcast dual

Started by Thewintersoldier, November 23, 2020, 04:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

This is another one I decided to build while I was scrounging thru pots and trimmers. I had to make 2 pots smaller and a trimmer. Lol I only had one 1k trimmer. Thank God for 1/8 watt resistors. This is a really unique sounding pedal. Not your run of the mill drive sound. The interaction of the bass cut and gain is really cool. And it sounds great on bass, even going right into a daw. The green side does a great blown out fuzz type sound, but really lofi and granular sounding, reminds me of my old tascam porta studio but better sounding. The transistor is a texas instruments but I forget the number on it. Hfe of 85 and leakage of 96.
The voltage switch is cool. 9v is great for wooly saturated tones and on 27v it's very stout with tons more headroom and the cleanup is fantastic on the volume knob.
  For the enclosure I went with a bare unpolished look for  more industrial thing with Professor X in cerebro. If you want to try a drive with a different thang going on I really recommend this one!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

Very nice! I had the single version (pedalpcb simulcast) and loved that until a riend twisted that outta my sweaty hands, gotta have to do the duo version now and I'm also curious about the 9 to 27V difference in sound. Great sounds in this indeed and I only had the small version.
Mouser is out of the TY 141P transformer at the mo, so might take awhile.
I'm also wondering how much the sound difference really depends on transformer as it's a 1:1 ratio anyway, might built my one first with a jumper across  in place of transformer until I get another transformer.
From the theory a noticable difference should only occur or be at least noticable if a transformer is run close to it's limits like on a blasting Tweed amp with undersized output transformer or a 1484 silvertone amp OT when you blast it.
But that's my hear say of theory form somewhere read.
BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: cooder on November 23, 2020, 05:38:05 PM
Very nice! I had the single version (pedalpcb simulcast) and loved that until a riend twisted that outta my sweaty hands, gotta have to do the duo version now and I'm also curious about the 9 to 27V difference in sound. Great sounds in this indeed and I only had the small version.
Mouser is out of the TY 141P transformer at the mo, so might take awhile.
I'm also wondering how much the sound difference really depends on transformer as it's a 1:1 ratio anyway, might built my one first with a jumper across  in place of transformer until I get another transformer.
From the theory a noticable difference should only occur or be at least noticable if a transformer is run close to it's limits like on a blasting Tweed amp with undersized output transformer or a 1484 silvertone amp OT when you blast it.
But that's my hear say of theory form somewhere read.
To me the the difference in voltage is like going from lofi to hifi. It's not just headroom, the feeling is different, there is much more clarity. Its more than just compression, it really turns it into a different pedal. I actually got this transformer on ebay this summer so they are out there, I just had to look a little harder.

Who the hell is Bucky?

Betty Wont

Great looking build. I absolutely love mine. it's a ripper. I use it as a metal preamp in 9v mode.

jimilee

You are on fire! College has slowed down my building, but with winter break coming, imma catch you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on November 24, 2020, 06:11:06 AM
You are on fire! College has slowed down my building, but with winter break coming, imma catch you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha I'm doing small builds right now, I got  like 3 more and I gotta do a big parts order.  The first part of 2021 is going to be the year of the fuzz. Then I'm gonna start tackling some larger delay and modulation builds again. 

Who the hell is Bucky?