News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Scarab deluxe and naga viper

Started by Thewintersoldier, November 21, 2020, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I'm going thru some spare parts and seeing what I can put together before my next part order arrives and decided to put these two boards together. Fun smaller builds with low part counts and some great  tones.
First up is the scarab deluxe. I have built every iteration of tone bender from mk1-mkiv and this can cop a pretty good version of each depending on settings. The key is the bias knob. Mk 1 is more gated than 2, 3 is more smooth and fluid than 2 so give it more voltage. Want 1.5? Back off the fuzz some and boost the bass  and back off the tone some and it's got the fuzz face thing going on that 1.5s will do so well. And the volume cleanup is fantastic. It's also less noisy than all my germanium benders, and with silicon it's not temperature dependant.
    Next the naga viper. Another silicon variant of the rangemaster. My germanium treble booster just has volume and a three way toggle for frequency to be boosted but I like having it variable for getting all the in-between tones. And the cleanup is just as good as my germanium pedal. This thing rips on my tweed amp especially with p90s.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

On point, very nice! And I do love both circuits ass well, the Scarab is really cool how versatile it can do the Tonebender family pretty closely with mojo parts.
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Great work! The scarab is my favorite fuzz of all of the fuzzes in this fuzzy land, you nailed it by saying it can do a whole range of tones. Love the graphics and that naga viper is looking pretty bad ass.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: cooder on November 21, 2020, 01:20:38 PM
On point, very nice! And I do love both circuits ass well, the Scarab is really cool how versatile it can do the Tonebender family pretty closely with mojo parts.
Thanks, mojo parts are cool, and part of the journey and a right of passage, but doing it cheaper with more communication n parts is just as satisfying.

Quote from: jjjimi84 on November 21, 2020, 02:55:38 PM
Great work! The scarab is my favorite fuzz of all of the fuzzes in this fuzzy land, you nailed it by saying it can do a whole range of tones. Love the graphics and that naga viper is looking pretty bad ass.
Thanks Dan, I used the MK85 graphic cause it was a culmination of the evolution of the the iron man armor and this pedal is the same thing to me as the ultimate bender pedal. I've always been a TB guy and this makes it so I don't have to swap out different versions for different sounds. And the naga viper...I love the serpent society in the comics and thought it was perfect for this. I remember when we were supposed to get the movie for the third cap movie but I'm ok with it cause civil war was pretty bad ass.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Those look great  8) I like how you "rummage through parts" and whip up two crazy nice pedals, lol. Badass

danfrank

Yeah, the original rangemaster can be made more versital by implementing the tone blend circuit of the Naga Viper. Nice builds, you made there...

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on November 21, 2020, 07:57:35 PM
Those look great  8) I like how you "rummage through parts" and whip up two crazy nice pedals, lol. Badass
Thanks John, and I really did have to rummage thru parts especially pots. I had to do things like turn a b2k pot into b1k or make solderlug into pcb mount pots. I used up film caps from old recycled (failed lol) builds from long ago. But they came together in the end.

Quote from: danfrank on November 21, 2020, 09:39:51 PM
Yeah, the original rangemaster can be made more versital by implementing the tone blend circuit of the Naga Viper. Nice builds, you made there...
Thanks dude, I agree that the mods presented in the circuit make the pedal super versatile. Even the heat control can make it a clean boost if I wanted to. I'm gonna mess around with different trannies and see what higher gain will do for it. The range on a pot is the best thing ever.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Awesome as always! Yeah, you really can't go wrong with the Scarab circuit. Incidentally, I find it does some of the best OD and distortion sounds I've heard.

sjaustin

Agree with what everyone has said about the Scarab. It's a spectacular pedal. I'm not wild about fuzz, but this one is so versatile and sounds so great. Nicely done!

Thewintersoldier

Thanks guys, it's being used a lot right now, I think I like it better than my germanium benders, and that's saying a lot

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?