News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone hit with the virus out there?

Started by gordo, November 22, 2020, 11:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WormBoy

Quote from: Muadzin on December 09, 2020, 02:39:46 AM
... I am kinda iffy on the idea of being forced to be injected with something that might have unknown long term side effects. ...
Everybody should question forced injections, but I would be interested to learn which countries are actually going that way. I am in a risk group, and I'll personally take the known and unknown side effects of a professionally developed, tested, and risk-assessed vaccin over the already-known side effects of a covid infection any day.

matmosphere

Quote from: WormBoy on December 09, 2020, 07:54:39 AM
Quote from: Muadzin on December 09, 2020, 02:39:46 AM
... I am kinda iffy on the idea of being forced to be injected with something that might have unknown long term side effects. ...
Everybody should question forced injections, but I would be interested to learn which countries are actually going that way. I am in a risk group, and I'll personally take the known and unknown side effects of a professionally developed, tested, and risk-assessed vaccin over the already-known side effects of a covid infection any day.

I'm right there with you on this.

I have not seen anything about governments forcing vaccinations anywhere, but I have seen speculation that employers may require it before returning to the office. That is a different matter entirely and between employers and staff. Perhaps that is what Maudzin is referring to?

At any rate... Gordo how are you doing man, any updates?

gordo

I don't see them being able to "force" anyone into a vaccine but then again it might become mandatory if you travel by air or attend large gatherings (ie: concerts).  Then the lawsuits and bickering will start and it will devolve into yet more stuff to divide the country/planet.

Me, I'm doing really well, thanks!  I still have no sense of taste or smell but it seems to be inching back slowly.  I've since tested negative after two positives and am not noticing any other symptoms.  I'd consider myself quite lucky.

My wife took a pretty nasty beating with high fever and more aches and pains but she's on the mend and doing well.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Strategy

Glad to hear you're all well Gordo!
What a relief.

This coming Friday I have my first Pulmonary Function Test. Depending on the outcome of the first one, I might have to do something called a "methacoline challenge" that involves testing while asthma attack is somehow induced. On the horizon, a friend who teaches medical informatics at the state medical school, may refer me to one of their research studies on "post-acute covid syndrome". I am happy to donate my time or blood sample to becoming a data point in research, if it will help further the science about "covid long haulers."

cooder

Glad to hear you are better Gordo and I hope your wife gets there too, without lasting side or long haul effects (and to Strategy and anyone else who is directly affected).
My son and his wife (living in Missouri), her parents and much of the relis all have or had it and it's pretty gut wrenching to see and watch from the distance without even being able to do something apart from the face time on the screen, not that I could do much if I was there in person. They all went through it  without needing to being hospitalised at this stage, so that's good.
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on December 09, 2020, 08:57:13 AM
I don't see them being able to "force" anyone into a vaccine but then again it might become mandatory if you travel by air or attend large gatherings (ie: concerts).  Then the lawsuits and bickering will start and it will devolve into yet more stuff to divide the country/planet.

Me, I'm doing really well, thanks!  I still have no sense of taste or smell but it seems to be inching back slowly.  I've since tested negative after two positives and am not noticing any other symptoms.  I'd consider myself quite lucky.

My wife took a pretty nasty beating with high fever and more aches and pains but she's on the mend and doing well.
I heard mention of a covid card you get after you get vaccinated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Working for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs and being onder the DOD, we are required to take a flu shot, so you can imagine how its gonna shake down here for the covid vaccine. Either way I'll be glad to take it, whats really the alternative anyways? 
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

My wife is doing a post-covid study as well and I might jump on board if they need anyone else.  I suppose I can get to the back of the line for vaccine but have no issues with it either.  I get a flu shot every year and have for a long time now.  I still get the flu but it's been mild and if I get knocked out it's a few days at worst.  I guess that's the point.  I've also been keeping up with shingles and pneumonia vaccinations as well.  Bring it on.  The less crap I have to worry about the better.

Strategy, hope the study goes well.  It's always nice to know you're part of a solution than a problem but inducing an asthma attack....sounds creepy.

One of the things the wife and I DID do right, I think, was to stay fairly active.  The weather was still warm enough that I dragged a ladder out and washed all the windows and got everything ready for winter.  It was exhausting but it kept the blood going and without overdoing it I think it kept crap from settling in the lungs as well.  Kept me from losing my marbles as well.
Gordy Power

EBK

My mom shared a Thanksgiving dinner table with 4 of her friends.  Everyone except for my mom got infected. 

One person (the presumed Patient Zero of the event) is currently on a ventilator with 100% oxygen assistance (she is not expected to recover), and another is in the hospital for a second time after being unable to stand up following repeated collapses (they sent her home after one day the first time she went, but now they have a bed for her to stay longer).  The other two infected individuals have been successful at caring for themselves at home. 

My mom has had two negative tests, but the first one was garbage (done at a local pharmacy where they make you swab yourself).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

Oh man, sorry to hear about your mom's friend.  It's really messed up how, with a hopefully small percentage of people, this thing can go horribly sideways.  And it happens very quickly.
Gordy Power

Bio77

Glad you and the wife are doing well, Gordo! Thanks so much for this thread, it has been quite sobering.  I was shocked how many people here have had first hand experience with this. I am extremely careful and I imagine that others here are also.  I guess that when community spread reaches the levels that it's at now, every activity is a gamble.

Sorry, to hear about your mom's friend, Eric.  That's horrible. 

peAk

Quote from: gordo on December 09, 2020, 01:56:40 PM
Bring it on.  The less crap I have to worry about the better.

this ^^^^^ X100

Muadzin

Quote from: WormBoy on December 09, 2020, 07:54:39 AM

Thing is, I don't trust big pharma even at the best of times. There is too much money for them to be made at stake and too much pressure from governments to come up with something for them to not resist cutting corners. If I have to be a guinea pig then at least pay me for the risk. Which I have done in the past.

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 09, 2020, 08:49:27 AM

I'm right there with you on this.

I have not seen anything about governments forcing vaccinations anywhere, but I have seen speculation that employers may require it before returning to the office. That is a different matter entirely and between employers and staff. Perhaps that is what Maudzin is referring to?

Which is a form of privatized enforcement of behalf of a government which can then maintain plausible deniability. And the form I am most worried about. Because I work parttime as a gym instructor. And I can totally see the company asking for mandatory vaccinations in order to be allowed to work. If its not to be mandatory by the

madbean

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how different countries, professions, etc. handle the vaccine situation. I can understand people being worried about efficacy and potential side effects in such a short rollout time. I'm not concerned about it personally but this vaccine is going to bring on a whole 'nother facet to COIVD.

DLW

Quote from: Muadzin on December 11, 2020, 12:44:49 PM
Thing is, I don't trust big pharma even at the best of times. There is too much money for them to be made at stake and too much pressure from governments to come up with something for them to not resist cutting corners. If I have to be a guinea pig then at least pay me for the risk. Which I have done in the past.

Skepticism is healthy. However, skepticism without diligence is the purest form of ignorance. If you believe government is pressuring Pharma to push out a dangerous medicine, put in an honest effort to determine whether or not there is evidence to support that claim. Also, give equal weight to evidence that refutes the claim. Finally, respect that the drug approval process has yielded many, many more safe and effective therapeutics than not, so the burden of proof is on you.

Quote from: Muadzin on December 11, 2020, 12:44:49 PM
Which is a form of privatized enforcement of behalf of a government which can then maintain plausible deniability. And the form I am most worried about. Because I work parttime as a gym instructor. And I can totally see the company asking for mandatory vaccinations in order to be allowed to work. If its not to be mandatory by the

If you want the benefits of living in a society, you have to accept the responsibilities that go along with it. This is a battle that you will not win.