News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Flush cutter recommendations needed

Started by Thewintersoldier, November 24, 2020, 03:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I have been using the klein flush cutters pictured below for about a year and a half and they are at the end of their life span. I have had to sharpen them a couple times and although they generally cut well for the  $9 I spent on them I want to get something harder that will last longer and cut better. What do you use and recommend?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

madbean

If you want to get a pro level tool, I've had three of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T4O2C8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty expensive but you'll probably never want to use anything else after it.

EBK

What are you cutting that is dulling these?  You aren't cutting guitar strings with them, are you?

I use Xuron 170-II cutters.  Also dirt cheap, but they've cut a ton of component leads without wearing out.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

mauman

+1 on Erem.  If you are patient, you can sometimes snag a pair of Erem pliers for a reasonable price ($20-50) rather than retail.  They're lifetime tools, and a real pleasure to use.  Watch eBay (use "Erem new" as the search term") and buy them fast if you see them for the right price. Don't bother with used, they're probably worn out discards from Boeing, etc.  Erem has been sold a couple of times (Apex, Cooper, now Weller) and the newer tools are at a lower price point, so YMMV.  There are downloadable catalogs available that detail the gauge and hardness of wire that each cutter model is rated for (some are up to stainless steel wire, others are for cutting very soft material only.) 

Thewintersoldier

I'll check ebay for. Avoid price on the erem cutters. Ebk, no cutting guitar strings just component leads and 24awg wire. On occasion I will snip a piece of 18guage buss wire. I notice the most damage on diode leads that are thicker like some zeners. I don't abuse my tools by any means. I was also looking at these Aven 10825F Accu-Cut Tapered Head Cutter
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Aven-10825F-Accu-Cut-Tapered-Cutter/dp/B003E48F5Q&ved=2ahUKEwic7bX2xpztAhWMylkKHXE8C1cQFjAJegQIHxAB&usg=AOvVaw3h446MPubORhnU4mfmSXkZ

Who the hell is Bucky?

gtr2

I have the Erems Brian posted but I actually prefer these for daily use.
KNIPEX Tools - Electronics Super Knips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EXOF8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Caedarn

I use the micro cutters from Hakko.  I don't build nearly as much as the rest of you but these have held up well so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZPDG1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mattc

This question came up a while back, and the Erems were recommended.  When my wife used my old cutters to cut up some wire hangers, I used that as an excuse to get the Erems, and I'm glad I did. 

gordo

I have the same Hakko's and they're cheap and work very well.  That said I'd like a pair of the Erems.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on November 25, 2020, 07:28:30 AM
I have the same Hakko's and they're cheap and work very well.  That said I'd like a pair of the Erems.
Ditto. I broke mine cutting something bigger than a lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

drezdn

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on November 24, 2020, 03:39:05 PM
I have been using the klein flush cutters pictured below for about a year and a half and they are at the end of their life span. I have had to sharpen them a couple times and although they generally cut well for the  $9 I spent on them I want to get something harder that will last longer and cut better. What do you use and recommend?

Is this one of the Klein tools that has a lifetime warranty? If so, you might be able to exchange them for free at a Klein dealer that carries them.

alanp

I wish I knew what brand my sidecutters are. I'm serious here. There is no branding, whatsoever, at all on them. Not imprinted on the metal, not dyed into the handles, nothing. And they're one of the toughest tools I have, have taken more than a decade of abuse, and are still really sharp.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on November 27, 2020, 06:58:09 AM
I wish I knew what brand my sidecutters are. I'm serious here. There is no branding, whatsoever, at all on them. Not imprinted on the metal, not dyed into the handles, nothing. And they're one of the toughest tools I have, have taken more than a decade of abuse, and are still really sharp.

We need a picture Alan.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

njkmonty

hakkos are nice ,but I find i go through a lot , If you can afford them go the Knipex! a pleasure to use!

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website