News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NSSHBD

Started by bcalla, November 21, 2020, 06:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcalla

New Short-Scale Headless Bass Day!

I have had surgery on both hands, and I suffer from neck & shoulder pain. I can only play standard basses for a short time before something starts to hurt.  The bass I have been using most is a Hofner Verythin.  I've had it for a few years and it's great - it has great tone, 30.5" scale, looks stunning, and weighs 5.5 lbs. (I have 2 other basses that weigh north of 10 lbs.).  However, it has the standard Hofner bridge, which means tuning / intonation is always a compromise.  So I have been on the lookout for a bass that matched a particular set of requirements:

1. Light
2. Short scale
3. 24 frets
4. Intonatable bridge
5. Relatively inexpensive

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Hondo Alien.  It's a headless bass, very similar to the Kramer Duke.  My best guess is that it was made in the 80s, but I wasn't able to find a way to confirm that.  It has an aluminum neck and comes in at 6.25 lbs., slightly more than my Hofner.  It sounds great and is very easy on my hands with a 31" scale.  And, while weird, I think it looks kinda cool.   8)

matmosphere

Awesome! I've played a couple aluminum neck Kramer basses and they are great. I wonder if this was made alongside the Duke in the same factory.

Good to hear that you found something that will work well for you.

jimilee

Very nice, I remember Hondo from back on the day. They made very solid clones. Nice score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

I really like headless basses. Good score

EBK

Now that is a nice canoe paddle!

Definitely weird looking.  Definitely cool.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Quote from: EBK on November 21, 2020, 04:24:28 PM

The 80s was a weird decade for musicians.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: jimilee on November 21, 2020, 06:18:39 PM
Quote from: EBK on November 21, 2020, 04:24:28 PM

The 80s was a weird decade for musicians.

I was pretty young, but from what I remember it was weird for everyone.