News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hoof Style BMP

Started by danfrank, December 12, 2020, 10:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Ok, this is a great sounding pedal! The Hoof is basically a BMP with transistors # 2&3 switched to germanium and the clipping diodes changed out for red LEDs.  The "shift" knob really adds versitality to this circuit. It works to shift the midrange according to where the tone knob is set.
I used a MB Mudbunny 2015 PCB that I had laying around for the board. I also went out on a limb and made this a PNP circuit with Road Rage inverter. I had 2 very high gain PNP germaniums and I wanted to use them in something.
For graphics, I stuck to my usual neo- minimalist functional artwork. Lol!
Transistor gains for all 4 is around 200 for each transistor. In BMP circuits, 200 is the magic number for me!
Anyway, great sounds come out of this box, it has BMP like tones plus rangemaster style tones also. Highly recommended!

EBK

Any chance you would be willing/able to record a demo?  I'm intrigued by your description.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

dawson

Jeepers that's rad.
I'm also intrigued by your description and I'll certainly be heeding your recommendation if I ever smarten up enough!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

cooder

Excellent build and thanks for the details on transistor selection! Good stuff!
BigNoise Amplification

MTK

That's awesome! The Hoof is a favorite for sure, I'd like to hear a demo as well.

Bret608

I think it's cool you converted it to PNP! According to Kit Rae's site, there are historical BMPs that were PNP. Probably had to do with what kind of transistors EHX had a lot of at the moment.  ;) So in that context, the Hoof variant seems ripe for this treatment.