News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

clear coat for laser printed decals

Started by Thewintersoldier, December 16, 2020, 05:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

For those who use laser printed decals on enclosures, what clear coat are you using? I've been using the basic rustoleum clear gloss and get pretty good results but want to try something different. Ideally something water based so it doesn't smell, and something that doesn't react with the toner like the rustoleum. My first couple coats are misted on followed by more wet coats. I was looking at the minwax polycrylic but was wondering what you guys have had success with. Also something that wont yellow much would be awesome.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Enviro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on December 16, 2020, 06:17:13 AM
Enviro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That seems like more hassle than what I'm currently doing. I watched the process and it's just not for me.
Who the hell is Bucky?

mauman

gordo

I'm kinda liking the floor polish thing but I have to admit if the pedal is getting a lot of contact it's not as sturdy as clear coat.  I've been using the rustoleum stuff (2x I think it's called) and have had decent luck with it.  It doesn't eat laser printed decals.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

Most recently, I've been using this:

It works ok.  I can't say that it is much different than other Rustoleum clears though, so I haven't really been helpful here.   ::)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

I was using waterborne lacquers that were being sold as guitar finishes from StewMac. Sprayed with an airbrush, stated with StewMacs finish which they switched to Target7000 which i could get here. Last, the seller up here of the Target7000 started selling their own branded waterborne for instrument finishing which is what's on my shelf now.

No stink, have always sprayed indoors year 'round, wear a respirator, very little waste unlike a spray can, water cleanup, water clear, no milkiness, doesn't yellow, layers melt into one another if applied within the given window so no witness lines when level sanding.

Played around spraying various box store waterborne poly's and nowhere near as pleasing to use as the lacquers or as good results.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: gordo on December 16, 2020, 08:36:27 AM
I'm kinda liking the floor polish thing but I have to admit if the pedal is getting a lot of contact it's not as sturdy as clear coat.  I've been using the rustoleum stuff (2x I think it's called) and have had decent luck with it.  It doesn't eat laser printed decals.
The 2x clear is what I have been using since I started this method. I find that the first couple coats have to be misted. If I go heavy at first the toner starts looking goofy. Although it may have to do with my printer settings.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

I used to use the brush on Polycrylic from Miniwax.  It seems to have held up fairly well.  Most of the spray options I have tried seem to get flaky on a pedal that gets used.  The no-film decals don't need a clear coat, which is why I moved to that direction.  But you spray color your boxes, so, I don't know how well the no-film would work for you.  I've had bad luck with even light powder coats.  The thick powder coats from Tayda work really well with the no-film.

gordo

I have noticed that warming up the 2x in hot tap water has helped and leaving the box in the sun before shooting it worked well in the summer.  That airbrush idea sounds pretty cool.  Water clean up would be the biggest benefit beyond health stuff.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on December 16, 2020, 10:55:31 AM
I used to use the brush on Polycrylic from Miniwax.  It seems to have held up fairly well.  Most of the spray options I have tried seem to get flaky on a pedal that gets used.  The no-film decals don't need a clear coat, which is why I moved to that direction.  But you spray color your boxes, so, I don't know how well the no-film would work for you.  I've had bad luck with even light powder coats.  The thick powder coats from Tayda work really well with the no-film.
I actually have moved away from painting enclosures, its no fun in winter and on smallbear its cheaper to get basic colors than a bare box. Tayda is like a .50 cents more for powdercoated over a bare enclosure. Plus its more durable. I may try the no film decal. Didn't you do a tutorial on it?
Who the hell is Bucky?

davent

Quote from: gordo on December 16, 2020, 01:30:12 PM
I have noticed that warming up the 2x in hot tap water has helped and leaving the box in the sun before shooting it worked well in the summer.  That airbrush idea sounds pretty cool.  Water clean up would be the biggest benefit beyond health stuff.

Easy easy cleanup, no fumes, can spray inside year 'round, for painting, small bottles of acrylic paint with the same properties in endless available colours and the ability to mix your own colours.

Spray cans of anything were limited in use by the seasons, huge waste of paint in just spraying it, how many pedals do you want to paint the same colour in order to get your moneys worth from a single spray can, the fumes...
dave

edit; Another plus with going to acrylic paints and lacquers is you can ditch decals altogether and use the products to do 'wet' toner transfers instead, at least for straight black toners, never tried colour toner transfers.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Bio77

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on December 16, 2020, 02:34:34 PM
I actually have moved away from painting enclosures, its no fun in winter and on smallbear its cheaper to get basic colors than a bare box. Tayda is like a .50 cents more for powdercoated over a bare enclosure. Plus its more durable. I may try the no film decal. Didn't you do a tutorial on it?
More a trial and error in the open  ;D 
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=29042.0

If you like Tayda enclosures and are printing mostly black, this method can't be beat, IMO.  I've got it pretty wired at this point, maybe I'll make a demo thread my next build.

Thewintersoldier

That would be great John. Always ready to learn something new.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Willybomb

I've been using Spraymax 1k or Upol Clear Gloss since my 3rd pedal out of 70 or so.