News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I Need Some Tech Help!!

Started by danfrank, December 26, 2020, 08:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Ring ring!
Actually, I have a question about the Collosalus PCB...
The two 15uf caps in the LFO section that are back to back have the negatives attached together in the Collosalus PCB. In every other LFO where I have seen the back to back electrolytics used, it's always has been the two positives connected. Is there a reason why this isn't the case on the Collosalus PCB? Just wondering...
Thank you!

madbean

Either way is acceptable to create a single non-polar cap so long as like polarities are connected to each other.

danfrank

artstomp

..I understand the formula for 2 capacitors connected in series is
C total = ——————-
              1/c1 + 1/c2

..but what's the total capacitance value of capacitors connected in series with their like polarities connected...( creating a non polar capacitor)

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Quote from: artstomp on December 27, 2020, 01:11:01 AM
..I understand the formula for 2 capacitors connected in series is
C total = ——————-
              1/c1 + 1/c2

..but what's the total capacitance value of capacitors connected in series with their like polarities connected...( creating a non polar capacitor)

You've actually already answered the question. What is Ctotal when C1=C2? It's always 1/2 the initial value of either cap! Easy to remember :)
Also, don't forget the calculator I posted: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18884.0

artstomp

Thanks Bean, so regardless of the connections, be it connected - to +, - to -, + - +, the same formula applies.

madbean

Quote from: artstomp on December 27, 2020, 02:05:06 AM
Thanks Bean, so regardless of the connections, be it connected - to +, - to -, + - +, the same formula applies.

The forumula holds for all capacitors in series, AFAIK. When it comes to electrolytic caps, polarity only matters when there is a difference in DC. IOW, + always goes to the higher DC source. When DC is equal (or close to equal) on both sides of a cap, the polarity doesn't matter. When you have two electros in series configured like we talked about, it simply behaves like a non-polarized cap so again, difference in DC doesn't matter.

There might be some minutiae here that someone could take exception with (maybe in high voltage applications like amps) but in pedals I've never seen anything to the contrary.