News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trash Panda

Started by Thewintersoldier, January 03, 2021, 05:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

First build of the new year. I used to have a solidgoldfx clone and this reminds me how great a fuzz this that was. I love  the octave on this thing. Such a 70s sounding pedal, this is going on the board tonight. Rocket is constantly getting called a fox like creature so who better than the trash panda for the enclosure. Gotta crank this thang!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

Nothin' trashy about this, great build!
Also: can you let me know which settings of the mid range switch you dig most? Just one position or do they all have their place?
BigNoise Amplification

Bio77

Looks awesome! 8)

I think this is my favorite fuzz circuit.  I'm also curious about the midrange switch.

Thewintersoldier

Thanks guys it's a fantastic fuzz, with or without the octave. I feel the midrange switch is a useful addition. I can't describe it any better than Kevin does in the build doc:
Midrange switch
The biggest flaw in the Tone Machine is the tone control. It's reminiscent of the Big Muff in its topology,
but missing a resistor to ground on the treble side to complete the filter, and with a very low value for
the treble capacitor. By changing the capacitor to a higher value, the frequency range is increased and
the treble side of the control becomes a lot more usable.

Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

This is totally one of my favorites too and I need to build another one. I sold my first build of this as it was so darned ugly, inside and out. I think it was my third or fourth build maybe? Anyway, this looks awesome! What transistors did you end up with?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on January 04, 2021, 06:45:44 AM
This is totally one of my favorites too and I need to build another one. I sold my first build of this as it was so darned ugly, inside and out. I think it was my third or fourth build maybe? Anyway, this looks awesome! What transistors did you end up with?
Thanks, I ended up going with 2n3565's. They worked and sounded good so I went with it. Build doc said 2n5089 for modern equivalent, just use hfe's over 400.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

I preferred those in my earlier build as well. I had gains from mid-200s all the way up to 400-ish and they all sounded good honestly. I bet you will be doing a Super Fuzz soon as well!

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on January 04, 2021, 08:15:51 AM
I preferred those in my earlier build as well. I had gains from mid-200s all the way up to 400-ish and they all sounded good honestly. I bet you will be doing a Super Fuzz soon as well!
So I have to do a parts order of course come i'm out of quite a few things at the moment but I do have a superfuzz pcb from aion and a standard fuzz from jmk on deck that is awaiting some parts. I know they are similar but the input stage is different I believe so therefor the octave is different in the two. Should make for an interesting shoot-out!
Who the hell is Bucky?

studiodunn

Great looking build and who doesn't love a fuzz shootout!!

matmosphere

Looking good! The Foxx Tone Machine is a crazy fuzz.

Gotta ask, so what is Groot going to be on?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 04, 2021, 11:13:15 AM
Looking good! The Foxx Tone Machine is a crazy fuzz.

Gotta ask, so what is Groot going to be on?
I did dancing baby groot on a magnavibe I did last year. I'm thinking of of putting the OG big groot on something coming up.

Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

We are Groot in this community, are we not?  :)

I did the JMK Standard Fuzz a few years back and it's a firm favorite. It just has such an evil, metallic tone to it. I think the octave is a bit more pronounced than a Superfuzz, but I haven't tried the SF just yet. Hoping to pick up the Aion board as well. I really appreciate the tracing work that Kevin did in figuring out what transistors work best.

Thewintersoldier

Just an update...I redid the decal on this in the no film waterslide that John (bio77) uses. With his help I was able to to get a very nice turn out on my first attempt. It almost rivals silkscreen. Look forward to a tutorial in the future on this. Compare this picture to the original in this post, so much cleaner looking and durable as well.

Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

Bret608

Yeah, that comes out great! Looking forward to a tutorial. I always notice John's builds look great, but somehow the no-film waterslide part didn't register in my brain. Where do you even get that?