News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Troubleshooting vintage Phase 90

Started by sonnyboy27, January 04, 2021, 07:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyboy27

A buddy of mine brought me a vintage phase 90 (6 single opamp version). I passes signal just fine but the phase signal gives me nothing. I've checked all of the ICs and they each are getting powered properly (9V on pin 7 and 0V on pin 4). I pulled out the audio probe and I noticed that the signal gets attenuated after the first capacitor and then comes out of the input buffer incredibly weak. From their I think the simple filtering in the rest of the audio path kills the signal off. Any phaser folks had experience with this?
I'm getting the appropriate 5.1V off of the Vref so I don't think that's an issue. I've been using the Electrosmash phase 90 analysis page to help me sort through the signal path.

sonnyboy27

Personal Update: Looks like the caps in the signal path may have drifted so far out of spec that they're filtering out the signal entirely.

mgalicki

I have a diy phaser 90 build that only sounds in the off position?
I used the Audio probe & I get a phased signal from the left side of the board, nothing passes by the green line.. R3, 4, 5, 6, & Q1, 2, 3, &4.
See the pic attached.
Any ideas? 

jimilee

Got pics of your build (both sides) along with voltages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mgalicki

As far as voltages, I am new to DIY builds so  I need a description of how to do voltages. EX: Do I ground to box & with unit in the on position, touch each component on the board to get the DC voltage reading? Thank you for your assistance. 

jimilee

Did it work before and then not work? Did you try turning the trimmer in mm increments? Did you check to make sure all of the parts are correct and have you reflowed all of the solder joints?  Sorry for all of the questions, it's a process starting with the above.

Ground the DMM probe to the main ground, the red probe will check each leg of the ICs and transistors.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Govmnt_Lacky

Some of those solder points look highly suspect. You may want to clean that off with some alcohol and a brush and re-flow. In your pic, the lower right corner.... Pin 6 of that Op Amp looks bad  :-\

mgalicki

Thanks, Jimilee & Govmnt_Lacky.
I will clean the rear of the board, re-tin the joints & then do the readings, Greatly appreciated! I'll get back to you later.

mgalicki

An update, Jimilee, after I first finished the build it did work, but only in the on position, I got a new push-button from the supplier of the kit for free because he said I was probably too heavy with the heat & melted it. After installing the new switch was when I got the results I originally posted above.  I have cleaned & resoldered all the joints, but still have the same results as above. I am now doing the voltage readings & will post them soon.

jimilee

Looks like there a missed solder joint on the bottom right.

mgalicki

The open solder joint is for the jumper to use as a script model. Attached are the voltage readings and a copy of the board labels.

jimilee

Are both of these spots not supposed to be soldered?

mgalicki

I see these 2 spots not soldered, I will ask the site  I bought it from & get back to you.
(It's actually these 2 spots, the lower left one in your pic is soldered.)
Thanks.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: mgalicki on February 10, 2021, 08:00:57 AM
I see these 2 spots not soldered, I will ask the site  I bought it from & get back to you.
Thanks.

Both of those solder points are legs from IC chips. They need to be soldered properly. Those were the points I mentioned in my previous post.

mgalicki

All IC chip solder joints have been soldered. There are 2 large unsoldered holes in the board I am asking the seller about.