News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda UV Printing without using Adobe Illustrator?

Started by Drew Hallenbeck, January 04, 2021, 12:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Hallenbeck

i Don't have AI and am not really interested in getting it. I'm not a fan of the subscription based structure at all.
If I were using it a lot more than as the occasional hobbyist it might be worth it but I'm afraid that's just not the case for me.
So my question is, has anyone used their UV printing services and uploaded filed from other than AI software?
More specifically, has anyone used graphics created in Inkscape?
Any tips, tricks or pointers?
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

cooder

I Have not used it myself yet but I have read that you can also use the much more affordable (one time purchase, no sub) and apparently pretty good Affinity Designer for it instead of Adobe Illustrator. I have used only Affinity Photo so far and that rocks as it goes for photo editing software.
BigNoise Amplification

Drew Hallenbeck

Quote from: cooder on January 04, 2021, 12:47:09 PM
I Have not used it myself yet but I have read that you can also use the much more affordable (one time purchase, no sub) and apparently pretty good Affinity Designer for it instead of Adobe Illustrator. I have used only Affinity Photo so far and that rocks as it goes for photo editing software.

I've been looking at Affinity over the past few days actually. I think it would be a much more cost effective option for me.
Still not sure about the workflow for uploading the graphics for printing though. I'm definitely way behind the learning curve on all the graphic design stuff :(
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"

Bio77

I feel you on the subscription.  I bought the Adobe suite in college and every Apple update I lose a little more functionality.  I'm actually planning on breaking out an old PC to set up in the garage that still has a functioning copy of AI.

Looking over the instructions on Tayda, I would check out the manual from the Roland Versaworks UV printer.  It might recommend some software alternatives.

benny_profane

There isn't anything that specifically requires illustrator. The files just have to be vector graphics and the indicated colors/print effects (e.g., gloss) need to have the correct VersaWorks swatch applied. The attached .ase file can be imported into the Affinity Designer (or other compatible program) swatch contextual menu.

Drew Hallenbeck

I've got my graphics vectorized. There's just one color layer, no need for white or gloss/emboss.
I'm sure this is a lot easier than I'm making it but I'm having trouble getting my graphic onto their PDF template.
I remember having trouble with an order (quite a while ago) with PPP but they had some great real-time customer support.....
But of course, I forgot what I learned back then.

TFZ

I only skimmed the Tayda instructions, but I see nothing that you wouldn't be able to with Inkscape.

Drew Hallenbeck

I'm sure that I can use my Inkscape created graphics. They provide artboard templates in PDF form. My problem is that once I downloaded their 1590bb template, I can't figure out how to add my graphic to it so that I can make sure it's centered.
I could just send them my vectorized graphic but the site specifically says they won't do any editing/tweaking. I wanna make sure I've got my image aligned properly in the "printable" area.

TFZ

I'd say just export a PDF page from Inkscape to the exact dimensions they give in mm with their templates.

> Please create your artwork with CMYK (not RGB)

https://logosbynick.com/export-cmyk-with-inkscape/

Drew Hallenbeck

Well, I think I have it figured out. Placed the order yesterday so I'll let everyone know how it works out.....

matmosphere

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on January 08, 2021, 08:28:57 AM
Well, I think I have it figured out. Placed the order yesterday so I'll let everyone know how it works out.....

Please do, I have been interested in seeing how their UV printing looks.

I'm with you on the subscription model for software. I have been using GIMP for years because it is free and decent. Now that I am a little older and could afford it I might consider a spending some money on software that I know would be supported for a long time. But a subscription that I might only use at most a few times a month.. no thanks.

Drew Hallenbeck

So I got my enclosures in the mail today. I've gotta say, I'm pretty impressed! There are a couple minor things that I would change but that's all on me and the source material being uploaded for printing.

The pink one probably doesn't need much explanation, it's our take on the Klon. The control labels are all a little bit too far to the left but I don't think it had anything to do with the quality of the service. I'm sure the graphic has always been a little off and I've just been making up for it when I placed the decals.
I've been getting better with KiCad and have had some boards made for us to use with this one. We've built and sold a couple handfuls of these but have always used PCBs from other suppliers. Now, with our own boards and a more professional looking finish, I'll feel a lot better about selling them.

The gray one is a custom request from a customer and the basic idea for the graphic was his. It's gonna be a PedalPCB Parenthesis. (I really like the strange juxtaposition of the whale flying above the forested mountainside) He really digs whales and figured the sounds this pedal is capable of are the type of thing you might hear if you were seeing this in real life!

rockola

Love the graphics on both. My Little Klony would make for a great T-shirt.

matmosphere

Agreed, they both look great. Thanks for posting the results, I've been curious to see how their printing looks.

Where is the whales little friend the bowl of petunias?

cooder

Looking great! So did that all work out for you in inkscape or did you use any additional software?

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 20, 2021, 01:27:17 AM
Where is the whales little friend the bowl of petunias?
Ha, brilliant! I have to read those books again, they seem pretty contemporary right now...
BigNoise Amplification