News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nope Smoker

Started by LaceSensor, January 05, 2021, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hey

So I was lucky enough to get a super custom commission for a crazy idea of a fuzz pedal, from a nice guy at ILF for their secret santa
The result was something called the Nope Smoker (see also their band thing of the same name https://nopesmoker.bandcamp.com/releases)

I was asked to make a dirty reverb with a clean blend at first, but this evolved to wanting a dirt in parallel with the dirt and apparently the guy liked RATS.
The final concept is shown below in a block diagram. Everything needed to fit in as small an enclosure as possible....

Proudly I used PCBs from a variety of our DIY friends for this. The JMK Paralyzer worked perfectly as needed for the paralleling of signals. I used a 1776effects "rub-a-dub" for the reverb as its a classic, low parts and small footprint. The RAT was a board that I acquired many eons ago, and its meant to be a direct drop in replacement for a standard RAT enclosure, and I cant remember the vendor.. thing its by CultureJam?. Its got all three clipping modes, as well as Reutz on a dip. Perfect! Lastly the Plesur Feta Complis version of the Big Cheese.

The switching allows for 12 basic combinations, before you consider there are 3 Rats, each with a Reutz flavour, and 4 tone settings of the Big Cheese. I cant get my head around how many possible combos that makes :)

This took some planning, especially for the measuring and drilling. The Small vero on the standoff partially hidden is just a power distro with each 9v having its own small ohm resistor feed (think I used 100r for each) along with a common ground and a CLR feed for the bypass indicator..

edit - found the RAT PCB
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8282.0

jimilee

Wow, that's a great looking pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dawson

Holy hell, this is cool!
I can tell a lot of planning went into this in order to get the guts AND the layout/graphics to fit nicely.
..I'm off to listen to that band
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

cooder

Customized awesomeness! What a cool box of goodiness and possibilties! Great graphics and super guts too!
BigNoise Amplification

matmosphere

That's nuts man! Looks like there almost wasn't room for the jacks.

LaceSensor

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 05, 2021, 08:03:46 PM
That's nuts man! Looks like there almost wasn't room for the jacks.

Its was to the millimeter trust me :)

MTK

That incredible build is most certainly not practicing social distancing.

diablochris6

Whoa, this is cool. I love insane pathways in small enclosures. Could you add another fuzz though? Haha.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

studiodunn

It puts the circuits in the box. Great multi man.

LaceSensor

Quote from: diablochris6 on January 06, 2021, 12:27:49 AM
Whoa, this is cool. I love insane pathways in small enclosures. Could you add another fuzz though? Haha.

There is a one knob fuzz thats kinda footswitch mounted, so in theory yes lol

TGP39

Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Hexjibber

This is awesome man, great job! Would love to hear what that sounds like!

I'm considering building a pedal with a parallel blend, basically I want to do a 'Soundgarden Superunknown in a box' by blending a Marshall circuit (PAL JCM 800) with a Mesa Rectifier one (Triple Wreck), as Chris Cornell used that set up on the record. Do you think an approach similar to yours would work? Just wondered whether it would all turn to mush or be a usable pedal.

Bio77

LaceSensor

Quote from: Hexjibber on January 17, 2021, 07:17:13 AM
This is awesome man, great job! Would love to hear what that sounds like!

I'm considering building a pedal with a parallel blend, basically I want to do a 'Soundgarden Superunknown in a box' by blending a Marshall circuit (PAL JCM 800) with a Mesa Rectifier one (Triple Wreck), as Chris Cornell used that set up on the record. Do you think an approach similar to yours would work? Just wondered whether it would all turn to mush or be a usable pedal.

for sure it will work but I recommend you rock before you box. Worst case youll have two decent dirts and a paralyzer for something else if you dont like it