News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Troubles

Started by tenwatt, December 05, 2011, 07:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 09, 2011, 07:52:12 AM
actually unless my maths is shit its going to be hard pushed to make a parrallel resistor work with the 11k already in place..

right?
'Fraid so... you could cut one leg on the top and run a 11k in series with it and solder it to the remainder of the other leg... bit messy but it wont risk the pad.
Works at Lectric-FX

madbean

Hey guys, just checking in on this thread. Let me have a look today at my prototype and see if I somehow omitted the compander values I used. I took pretty good notes during the process, but there is always the possibility of error. I'll get the shop warmed up (I think it's about 40 degrees in there!) and get this solved.

LaceSensor

fuck it.

socketed it, and said goodbye to another pad

edit - actually swapping back and forth im not sure

more testing, will report back shortly

LaceSensor

pin 11 is down to 4.57v now (compander that is)

going to rebias the bbd and see what I hear.

I think its better but im getting ear fatigue from doing this ;)

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 09, 2011, 08:12:04 AM
fuck it.

socketed it, and said goodbye to another pad

edit - actually swapping back and forth im not sure

more testing, will report back shortly
Woo! We're getting there.

Right, Now check all your IC2 voltages again, the closer we get pins 7, 10 & 11 to half supply the better.

Quote from: madbean on December 09, 2011, 08:08:50 AM
Hey guys, just checking in on this thread. Let me have a look today at my prototype and see if I somehow omitted the compander values I used. I took pretty good notes during the process, but there is always the possibility of error. I'll get the shop warmed up (I think it's about 40 degrees in there!) and get this solved.

If you can get the Datasheet up bean, you can just use the sums to get a resistor value for these values in the right area and save your self the cold! (Well unless you meant degrees c... or else your shop is hot in winter!)

Seem to have gotten to the bottom of what's gone wrong through trial and error, that would give a more definitive answer.

EDIT: You typed this as I posted:-

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 09, 2011, 08:19:34 AM
pin 11 is down to 4.57v now (compander that is)

going to rebias the bbd and see what I hear.

I think its better but im getting ear fatigue from doing this ;)
Sweet! What's Pin 7 at? 4.5Vish too? If so i'll say 24k seems like the (closest) Magic value.
Works at Lectric-FX

gtr2

Thanks for all the hard work guys!  I've had the same distorted delay troubles with a double v3205 aquaboy.  I cut the signal going to the bbds but my delay volume amount suffered.  I'm now thinking that the area of the compander (thanks to Scruffie) could be improved on my aquaboy and that would solve the problem and have a delay level equal to my input level.

Keep on going guys.  I've been there and it's frustrating but you work on this will be rewarded with great satisfaction in the end  :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

pin 7 4.67v
10 = 5.56v
11 = 4.58v

the echoes are still a bit fuzzy.
im trying my best.

just for avoidance of doubt, r42, 11 and 12 are now at 24k

LaceSensor

man, even though im suffering, through a 10w practice amp on my desk and obviously not 100% tuned, this sounds so cool .cant wait til its fully healthy

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 09, 2011, 08:33:19 AM
man, even though im suffering, through a 10w practice amp on my desk and obviously not 100% tuned, this sounds so cool .cant wait til its fully healthy
We'll get it as close as we can to sounding great!

Another step that can be taken to reduce distortion is to change R13 & 14 to 33k (can't remember where I picked that up from, not my idea, but it should help) it may slightly change the tone but not drastically.

I also wonder if altering R62 might be an idea... perhaps just 10k would cut it.

That and a bit of rebiasing.

Quote from: gtr2 on December 09, 2011, 08:29:40 AM
Thanks for all the hard work guys!  I've had the same distorted delay troubles with a double v3205 aquaboy.  I cut the signal going to the bbds but my delay volume amount suffered.  I'm now thinking that the area of the compander (thanks to Scruffie) could be improved on my aquaboy and that would solve the problem and have a delay level equal to my input level.

Keep on going guys.  I've been there and it's frustrating but you work on this will be rewarded with great satisfaction in the end  :)

Josh
Cheers  :)

Well post your Compander voltages as well and lets see if we can't change things a bit.

Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

Now Bean is onboard Im going to wait and see what else pops up via the weekend.

Be interested to see what other peoples experiences are

timbo_93631

I appreciate the hard work you guys are doing on this.  I got my DBD board and am about to order parts, but will hold off until some consensus is reached about the issues with the BOM and construction of the delay.  Again, thanks for all the work you guys are doing!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

tenwatt

I've got my desoldering iron warmed up and I'm chomping at the bit.  Do you have any new word for us, Brian?
Not too bright....

LaceSensor

LaceSensor

Another negative report of same issue at FSB.

I have posted this thread there, it's nt fair letting ppl build this when there is clearly bugs somewhere.

I'm hoping this is addressed soon.

Loztboy

This will not be a problem if I use MN3005's right?